Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: First ever claw setting (help!)

Thanks Chris,

Yeah I know you couldn't possibly cover all the variation Here's one of the garnets:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3180.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	13.8 KB 
ID:	9771

Not an awesome photo I'm afraid but you can hopefully see a definite flat edge to the girdle. The stone is 4mm and the flat girdle "band" is maybe about 0.3mm high.

What would you do with him?

Thanks Faith

Actually: here's an attempt in a bit of wire:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3190.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	6.5 KB 
ID:	9772

I used the tiny heart burr and gradually widened the cut trying to keep the depth the same. It's too deep for a seat, so I need to start shallower. But is that a decent method? It matches the profile of the stone much better than my previous attempts.

Faith
    Last edited by Faith; 08-01-2017 at 03:44 PM.

You seem to have grasped the idea nicely..now keep practicing.

Thanks Chris,

The most recent one was awful in the end, but I know why so that's something More to come.

Faith

Learn by your mistakes, it's the only way!
    There is a very fine line between success & failure with all settings & lots of other jobs.
    Take your time first & speed will follow..even then be careful.

Hi all,

So I've been persisting with the claw setting practice (I'm wearing new stud earrings a lot at the moment!), and I have a question...

How do professional setters mark or otherwise keep track of the orientation of a round stone in relation to the setting, so as to cut each claw individually for an irregularly shaped girdle.

After realising that "hope for the best" was not a great strategy, I've taken to using a fine waterproof marker to put a black spot on one claw, and a black spot on the edge of the table of the stone. Then every time I try the stone against a cut claw I can line up the dots.

It works and it cleans off, but I'm wondering if professionals have a better method than my "stone graffiti"?

Many thanks

Faith

PS I'm basically out of practice time now, the next ones will be gold

I swear by the marker and the methsy smelling rag, but then I'm a dedicated amateur. Why stop at black though? Dennis.

Lol you're clearly used to the endless stationary based delights of London Dennis, out here in the sticks, the marker pens are black. What's electricity again? :p

Faith

You can use dividers measure from the girdle to the table then flatten of the claws and measure down off each one and scribe a line on the inside of the claw its still a bit of a guess but they are all equally wrong then

Hi Josef,

Thanks - that's a much better method than ive been using for that part actually.

But what I meant tho was, suppose you measure the stone at 12,3,6,9 o'clock, how do you know where 12 o'clock is all the way through the setting process? I've been drawing a mark on the stone in marker pen to deliniate 12, and marking my "12" claw, but I was wondering if others did differently?

It's not that my way doesn't work, I was just interested what others do,

Faith
    Last edited by Faith; 31-01-2017 at 11:36 PM.

Ah I see sorry I misunderstood, Tippex or a marker pen is good. the tricks to buy nicely cut stones so you dont need to