Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: First ever claw setting (help!)

Thanks Chris that's really helpful. I'll need to buy some smaller heart burrs, the smallest I have is 2.5 mm so I've tried again with that. Sadly the previous two settings did not survive my attempts to salvage them, so I've done another.

I must admit I'm finding a smaller burr easier to use, even though I thought the opposite would be true initially, but just to help me understand is there a specific reason you favour such tiny ones?

Faith

Attempt 3:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3161.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	15.5 KB 
ID:	9754Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3163.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	34.2 KB 
ID:	9755Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3168.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	22.6 KB 
ID:	9756

This looks better to me at least, I marked the claws with my calipers actually (which seemed to work), and used my smallest (2.5mm) heart burr. Then I filed the claws down with the stone in (carefully) and finished with cup burr and rubber wheels.

I can see two obvious flaws, viewed upright, each left claw has a visible groove on the outside, it's the same all the way around, this is the direction the burr was pulling in, so I've obviously let it drag itself off centre. Also one of my claws isn't totally straight at the top.

Apart from that tho what do people think?

Many thanks
    Faith
    Last edited by Faith; 02-01-2017 at 05:40 PM.

I can't view your images, Faith. It says they're invalid attachments.

Big burrs do more damage & it's easy to cut into claws too deeply & maybe something that you don't want to..
    You'll notice a burr on the left side of claws after cutting that you'll want to remove before adding the stone.

Hello, sorry my post must not have worked, images updated above, can you see them now?

Also thanks Chris, I'll order myself some smaller ones then I think.

Faith

Looking good !, once you get used to things you will not need to bend out the prongs so much also you can put one side of the stone in the notch then push the otherside of the stone so it fits into place. Its great to see you kept with it.

Thanks Josef

I've been too frightened of chipping the stone I think to click it in, but I'll have a go. Got a few more silver ones to try before the "main" ones in 18ct.

Are there any good tips to prevent the burr running off by itself and munching the side of the claw? I'm now holding the handpiece very securely but it's still happening... Also planning to try a smaller burr next. Of course it may just require more practice!

Faith

Probs stick with opening the claws a bit then until you get more confident. You will find things easier with a smaller burr they dont have as much bite and you cam take a bit away at a time, its also a practice thing, just make sure you brace against your finger and something thats solid. Also like said above you will find things easier if the setting is held tight, maybe try a small vice (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SODIAL-R-M...8AAOSwJ7RYYij3) with some leather to protect the setting in the jaws. GRS do some really nice stone setting kits but there very expensive. There are many ways to accomplish the same result just find the one that suits you.

Thanks Josef

I have the grs benchmate vice actually, which I use for bezel setting but I couldn't get "comfy" with it for this - I've been finding it easier to cut the claws with the setting held horizontally rather than upright. Praps I'll persevere with the vice tho, and see if I can mount the earring in there at a comfy angle in some thermoloc...

Ta again
    Faith
    Last edited by Faith; 02-01-2017 at 08:40 PM.

Looks pretty good to me Faith
    You could try just cutting the notches with a file if you are struggling with the burr.