Thread: Setting Marquise into a new piece

Default Setting Marquise into a new piece

A family member has asked me to set Marquise stones into a new Sterling silver stacking ring I've to make for her but I've never dealt with this shape of stone before, and especially not one so small.

Does anyone have any advise on how to deal with this. I am confident in Bezel but I'm still learning all my techniques so this will be a new adventure for me.

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1059.jpg  

Make sure you cut a relief into the claw where the stone fits this can be done with a small burr the points are prone to breaking so try and get them away from the metal

How do you propose ... claw, flush or bezel?

x2 Josef1

Be very careful of the points, they tend to be rather fragile.
    What stones are you going to use?

Quote Originally Posted by belastadesigns View Post
    A family member has asked me to set Marquise stones into a new Sterling silver stacking ring I've to make for her but I've never dealt with this shape of stone before, and especially not one so small.
    Can you tell us what the picture is of?

Hi all,
    Thanks for all the comments.

The picture Inc in my original post is the ring which contains the Marquise diamonds.
    Sadly my aunt can no longer wear this ring but instead of getting this stretched, she would like the diamonds used in a new stacking ring she has asked me to make her.

It's not my first Upcycle but is the first diamond and also tiny stone situation,

I was thinking bezelled but just seeing if anyone had any advice on how to remove (thanks Josef1) or if an alternative setting would be best for these tiny little stones

Thanks and hope everyone had a lovely festive period x

Quote Originally Posted by belastadesigns View Post
    Hi all,
    I was thinking bezelled but just seeing if anyone had any advice on how to remove (thanks Josef1) or if an alternative setting would be best for these tiny little stones

Thanks and hope everyone had a lovely festive period x
    Removal should be relatively easy ... just 'go easy'.

Have you considered any designs for this? Just wondering how you envisage bezel setting these stones.
    The original setting is nice, but definitely not beginner territory.

Unsetting: It should be possible to push the claws at the tip of each stone out of the way. Then the remaining claws, which run down the centre can be cut close to the shank with a saw.
    The main hazard is loosing a stone, so guard against that.

Bezel setting: The height of the bezels will vary as the size increases, so you will need callipers. If the little ones are too small for you, you might not re-use those.
    From 0.4mm sterling, or fine silver sheet, make some curved stock about 170mm in diameter and the width for each group of stones. This will create tapered bezels and allow you with care, to set them without a special internal bearer, although you can make a little ridge with a burr.

To make the bezels, cut a length from your stock, crease the centre by applying a knife and a light hammer on a plastic cutting mat or similar. Bend around the upside down stone, cut to size and solder with only a tiny pallion.

Practice some with copper first. Dennis
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ts1 Turquoise Ring.jpg  

Thank you so much for the in depth information and advice Metalsmith and Dennis!
    I have drawn up a few sketches for size and positioning. I've made stacking rings in the past with round cabochons and managed stones as small as 3mm to Bezel but this was new territory!

Thanks for the help, I will test this out with some CZ and copper and hopefully made this work x