Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ring making process

I use a Dremel idea builder printer Tim and I think Cookson sell them.

No they're not the fanciest or highest resolution printer on the market, but then again they're not the priciest either and the output is perfectly adequate for my needs.

Software wise, I use rhino3d for modelling the bezels, then some 3d printer specific software for outputting to the file format the Dremel uses.

Cheers,

Nick

Thanks for that Nick. I'll have a look at them and get some further info.
    Cheers

Quite amazing. Dennis.

Good work, though I wouldn't worry about the design not being to your taste - it might be to everybody else's!

Thanks everyone.

Few things I learnt from the process was...

1. Dont make the walls of the 3D model too thin. My printer has a max resolution of 0.5mm meaning thats the thinnest you could print a wall of the bezel, but when you come to cast it, it'll be difficult for the mould to hold the shape. So the best bet is to make the model a bit thicker than needed, then refine with files etc.

2. Make the top of the bezel taller than you need it to allow for refining too, and to give you a bit of margin for error. If you make it spot on and you mess it up, then its back to casting all over again.

3. Using cuttlefish with this method is easier than using delft clay, as the cuttlefish holds the shape better albeit with more cleanup afterwards.

I'm a novice myself of course, but I'd still advocate using the traditional methods of bezel construction first in order to grasp the principals involved and the techniques. I only started to experiment with this method as a few customers wanted very strong bezels and I needed a technique that didnt involve the expense of lost wax casting. However thats my new venture for 2017!

Cheers,

Nick

If making bezels by hand, this set is good value, 'though not as cheap as it was this time last year. Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    If making bezels by hand, this set is good value, 'though not as cheap as it was this time last year. Dennis
    Was something missed off your post, Dennis? I'd like to see the "good value set" you mention.

Sorry Mark It was this set of assorted bezel mandrels from Proops: http://www.proopsbrothers.com/bezel-...348-7369-p.asp Dennis.

Those look like a good idea Dennis, having made an pierced quite a few collets as an apprentice, I remember using a collet punch to get them straight but they were always round ones. I can't imagine most workshops having blocks with all these exotic shapes cut out of them with punches of matching shape to get them all true.

Also in my day 3d printers weren't even appearing in science fiction, there was a guy who could carve directly in wax otherwise it was for the guy who was teaching me to make it in silver and attach a sprue...

Interesting thread and I like the facets on the shank that gives the ring lots more character.
    Last edited by Daveyboyz; 28-12-2016 at 08:48 AM. Reason: typo