Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Argentium tags

Default Argentium tags

Is there anywhere I can buy 930 stamped ovel assurance tags for argentium jewellery? Or possibly blanks I can stamp myself? Many thanks

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk

As far as I,m aware this is no such grade

In any case they would have no validity. You can use 925 tags but only a 925 hallmark will ultimately do. Dennis.

Argentium is .930 or 960. I am not wanting a hallmark, I'm wanting the oval assurance tags.

Probably best to make your own in that case either with a disc cutter or a saw if you can get a 930 stamp

How many do you need maybe worth having them cast if you need a few ?

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Quote Originally Posted by mickdunn1975 View Post
    Argentium is .930 or 960. I am not wanting a hallmark, I'm wanting the oval assurance tags.

Shoot me down if needed, but what is an assurance tag? If you are in the UK, your assurance (guarantee) is the assay and hallmark done at an assay office. Anyone can put a stamp on any tag with a set of well known numbers on it, it doesn't mean anything other than a set of numbers, unless you are in a country that says you must mark it. Whom is it that is being assured? Argentium is still assayed, as far as I am aware, from looking at the hall notes, as Sterling Silver (925).

Silver items under 7.76 grams don't need an hallmark, it would cost too much to send a small pair of earrings to the assay office, so quite often here in the UK they will be stamped .925 as an assurance to the customer that they are buying sterling silver. Bracelets with a fine chain usually have a small oval finding between the chain & jump ring with it also being stamped .925 for the same reason. My question is, as they are so readily available here in the UK for small sterling items, is there one for argentium silver I.e a .930 oval tag? Hope this explains it better.
    It is not required by law, yet customers expect to see a .925 tag on smaller items in the place of an hallmark from the assay office.

In reply to your earlier point, yes you can stamp argentium as sterling but why would you? Would you stamp 18k as 14k?

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    Probably best to make your own in that case either with a disc cutter or a saw if you can get a 930 stamp
    Thanks. Maybe I'll have to do this. I can buy a .930 stamp here in the UK