Thread: Prices of materials

Default Prices of materials

I have been looking at some YouTube videos by Andrew Berry and one of his was creating a silver ring using a D shape strip. It was very interesting and wondered how much a strip of Silver or gold would cost to create a ring. I have looked at the bullion section of Cookson's and wondered "Do I really need to spend over £700 for a kilo of silver just for a ring"

The cheapest D section silver (2.3mm wide) would cost a few pounds delivered. You buy as much as you need of each item, thankfully!

Thanks for the sigh of relief. It will be a while yet before I buy any, but curiocity etc etc.

I just looked at the intial price on the summery page rather than looking at the full description.

The trend for many of us if we have an unfamiliar project to work out, is to try it in copper first.

The copper can come from many sources, such as discarded lengths of tubing, cut open and flattened, the earth wire from odd lengths of cable, or a yard of earthing wire of your choice from a local wholesaler, which will contain several strands.

Many DIY tools and items from ironmongers, pound shops and on line can be recruited until you get round to buying, the more expensive ones from pukka suppliers. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by TATS View Post
    I have been looking at some YouTube videos by Andrew Berry and one of his was creating a silver ring using a D shape strip. It was very interesting and wondered how much a strip of Silver or gold would cost to create a ring. I have looked at the bullion section of Cookson's and wondered "Do I really need to spend over £700 for a kilo of silver just for a ring"
    Go to the Cookson bullion section, click on silver, then wires, then shapes,if D shape, then choose a wire size, the smallest is 2.3mm wide, click on the size then write the length required in the box and you should get a price. I just wrote in 12 inches of 2.3mm. wide D shaped silver wire and it costs £7.50 plus postage at today's silver price.

James
    Last edited by Goldsmith; 17-12-2016 at 10:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    The trend for many of us if we have an unfamiliar project to work out, is to try it in copper first.
    Thanks Dennis. This was going to be my next question, about using copper to practice on until I am competent enough to use the good stuff

Copper is great for first attempts and proving or otherwise a concept. I am very much a learner and have been really gratified by family and friends actually wanting my copper trial pieces in themselves. One relative seriously claims a ring I made has reduced greatly the arthritic pain of the finger she wears it on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Looks like she'll be wanting ten then. That'll keep you busy. Don't accidentally mention her feet. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Looks like she'll be wanting ten then. That'll keep you busy. Don't accidentally mention her feet. Dennis.
    I know one who has headaches.......?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk