Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bangle hinges

Looks great, really cool

Thanks Dennis and Josef
    Im not a fan of the box type catches, Ive bought a few and they seem to go wrong too easily so I wouldn't want to make one myself.
    Definitely the simpler the better for me lol

I like the design. Thistle be a whole lot stronger too. Dennis.

That's lovely Sarah! How did you make the thistle body and flower head? Is it soldered on and then engraved, or is the whole thing carved?

Faith

Thank you Faith

I carved it out of wax then cast it and soldered it on as I wanted it to be quite chunky and be able to set the amethyst into it.
    The leaves are cut from sheet and then engraved and the amethyst is carved from a piece of rough.

Wow, goodness that's quite amazing! I'd have no idea how to even start. Brilliant finished effect too

Faith

Thanks Faith

Simple casting is relatively easy and cheap using Delft clay.
    You can't do everything with it and it requires a lot more clean up than lost wax casting but its easy to do more basic shapes and can take a fair bit of surface detailing.
    I carved the amethyst using a diamond blade and diamond burrs on my pendant motor and then polished using Everflex grades and diamond polish, again with the pendant motor so definitely something you could start to play around with if you wanted

Well I'm not sure I'm up to carving stones yet but I might look into the delft clay I was desperate to make pumpkin earrings for Halloween (like solid 3D ones) but have never had any idea how to cast! Maybe I'll get there in time for next year

Faith

Andrew Berry has a really good video on delft clay casting, Im not sure if its on Suttons site still now they are amalgamated with Betts or if its on 'At the bench'.
    You just need a delft clay set, couple of wax tools, some wax sheets and something to melt it in- that was the most expensive bit for me as I have a little kiln.
    So many skills to learn aren't there?! I still have a lot on my wish list.