Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bangle hinges

I think you are right Sarah, to go ahead and finish it in time for Christmas, provided there are no stones to set. You can always deal with it if there is a problem later, but unsetting stones would be a hassle.

The safety chain is also useful to steady the bracelet on the wrist when doing it up. Dennis.

Thanks Caroline , I will post it up when its finished

Thanks Dennis, Ive been trying to decide all day, there is one stone to set but it wouldn't be too bad to redo that if need be.
    Im ordering some of the joint tube for the other one Im making as thats a thicker bracelet so I suppose I may as well wait for that to come and redo this too.
    I didn't realise there was such a thing as joint tube but its a lot thicker isn't it so will probably be quite a bit stronger.
    Thanks so much for all your help you are a star.

Well I finished the first one, I have to say Im pretty pleased with it actually although I think I can make the pins a tighter fit on the next one.
    Thank you SO much for all the help, Im hugely grateful!
    The band is 1.5mm thick and 7mm wide so I ended up going with the normal tube but the next one will be the joint tubing as its a slightly thicker band.
    Im not really sure why I was such a wimp about doing it but I don't think its something I would have attempted without you guys as anything remotely mechanical scares me lol.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bracelethinge.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	28.2 KB 
ID:	9688Click image for larger version. 

Name:	braceletback.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	14.4 KB 
ID:	9689Click image for larger version. 

Name:	infinitybracelet.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	28.9 KB 
ID:	9690

Ha and the horsehair pretzels as well. You were right about needing the hinge, but the strain on it won't be that severe. Great job. Dennis.

That's lovely Sarah, super neat riveting too, I won't show you my first one lol! To be honest I should have given up and started again at the point where I broke off a drill bit in the silver and had to dissolve it out!!

Really like the clasp design too

Faith

Looking great Sarah and I bet the rivet was the easy bit!

Thanks very much Dennis, Faith and Caroline
    The loops were a nightmare actually Dennis, I twisted them but they are 4by2 D shape so kept trying to twist the wrong way.
    I did try piercing them out of sheet but for some reason despite being accurate enough at piercing to copy a photo of somebodies horse at 6mm I couldn't get the damn things quite perfect

Lol Faith! Ive been known to persevere in a similar fashion well after one should simply give up and regroup !

I forgot to say I cheated actually and got the hammer handpiece on the rivets in the end- I was having a tricky time keeping them in place to hammer them with the loop where it is.
    I can report that hammer handpieces do a great job on rivet heads, they are completely seamless even under the magnifying glass
    Now I just need to get a tighter fit between the hinges on the next one....

Just finished my second one, the joint tubing is much more robust so thanks so much Dennis for your advice on that!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mitrabracelethinge.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	42.4 KB 
ID:	9717Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mitrabraceletback.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	39.1 KB 
ID:	9718Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mitrabracelet.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	39.3 KB 
ID:	9719Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mitrabraceletfront.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	38.4 KB 
ID:	9720

They have both turned out really well congratulations.

An interesting kind of catch too I wouldn't have thought to do it like that. I was expecting a tongue and box affair maybe with figure 8's too but that looks like a pretty neat and stress free way to solve the problem.

Hinges and rivets look tidy too