Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oval Cabochon thick setting and oval back help

Ok. Will give it a go. Thank you both. I'm going to try both methods. Thanks so much.

Hi James

I just have one more question. What do you mean by use a mallet and gently level the domed oval's edge on a steel block?
    I'm sure i'm just being thick. I'm picturing a domed mallet and tapping it on the inside the edge against the steel block. Is that what you mean?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Susie View Post
    Hi James

I just have one more question. What do you mean by use a mallet and gently level the domed oval's edge on a steel block?
    I'm sure i'm just being thick. I'm picturing a domed mallet and tapping it on the inside the edge against the steel block. Is that what you mean?

Thanks
    Sorry Susie but I missed this posting yesterday, I am not sure if you have been shown how to shape flat sheet metal by hammering the back with a domed hammer. To raise the dome, start hammering around the outer edge and hammer around the shape working like a Catherine wheel, gradually heading towards the centre, this raises the dome, if you want to lower the dome start in the centre and work in reverse heading towards the outer edge. When you have reach your required dome, anneal the piece and place the the dome on a steel flat block to make sure that the whole shape's edge sits flat on the steel, if it is not flat then I would use a small wooden flat faced mallet to tap the whole piece so that the edges are flat, so when you solder the stone setting bezel in place it will be level.

This photo shows some of my mallets, the small ones on the top, I made by cutting up old wooden chair legs and adding handles;
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	14b Jim's mallets.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	41.6 KB 
ID:	9675

James