Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Claw setting by hand?

Default Claw setting by hand?

Hi again!

It feels like I've been away for a little while, although that might just be that I had a rather busy November!

I do however need to get on with some projects. I've offered to make some gold amethyst stud earrings for a friend - as i haven't soldered gold before, or claw set a faceted stone, we decided I wouldn't make the setting and she chose these: http://www.cooksongold.com/Findings/...prcode-NNJ-846

My question is, am I gonna be able to cut the seat and set them without a pendant or micro motor? I.e entirely by hand? I've cut the seats for tube settings by hand, but for this I wasn't sure.

Many thanks

Faith

Perfectly feasible to cut the seats with a piercing saw (a 3 square file might work, but I'd be twitchy about catching the gallery with it).

The real problem I think Faith is that stones and readymades dont necessarily match up. It might need a lot of adjustment and then be quite clunky or too thin in places.

You could consider instead, using a tube setting, with the end closed and an ear post added. If the friend likes claws, then before setting you can cut four scallops in the edge, starting with a saw and then a round file and leave four claws to rub over.

You would practice one in silver first. Dennis.

Haven't you got a Dremel or better still a hand drill?
    You could cut the seat and the Vs in the prongs with a hart burr.
    Alternatively you could use a scorper and do it all by hand the old fashioned way but it is tricky getting it lined up.
    I would definitely practise on silver first and make sure I had spare amethysts as they are very easy to break.

Thanks Peter, perhaps a modified file would help (with some of the cutting edge removed), that could be a possibility.

Thanks Dennis, I know about the potential issues with premade settings, unfortunately I already tested the tube idea (there's a great French tutorial about making studs that way somewhere with excellent pictures, sadly my friend didn't like them ). I will definitely be practicing in silver first though.

Thanks Sarah, good tip on the amethysts (I hadn't thought of that and will definitely keep some spare). I have got a dremel, no hand drill though, although actually for my tube settings I cut the seats just by holding the burr in my fingers and turning it. I had meant to use the handle Dennis recommended but forgot and had no trouble. Perhaps that would work again.

Partly i'm considering whether I want a Christmas foredom, I've done a lot of research and know it would be useful, but i'm trying to disambiguate whether i need one for this project specifically (as i'm rather committed to that - the earrings will by my friends present to her mom for a major birthday), or whether i could manage to make em without one....

Many thanks

Faith

Well you certainly could make them without one- use the handle on your burr and turn it by hand.
    We had to do all our settings using scorpers by hand on the course I did so its certainly possible that way too

"Christmas Foredom" you will never look back

go on then China, sell me on it what will I be able to do better than with the dremmel or by hand?

Faith

Bad China! Lol!
    A million times better for drilling and burring , lasts much longer and stops if you take your foot off the pedal so you don't have to cut your hair to get it out
    I used to get through drills and burrs ridiculously quickly in the Dremel which is basically because it runs too fast for them.
    I will say that the Foredom is one of the best tools I have bought and certainly made me regret wasting money on a second Dremel when my first broke a few months in.
    The difference is massive.

However you *could* still set your amethysts by hand......

Thanks Sarah

And lol, I would like to hear the story of when u had to cut a burr out from your hair! I have pretty long hair too tho so just the idea of getting that caught round a motor makes me cringe!

Well perhaps that's what I'm asking Santa (aka my lovely other half) for then I decided if I got one I'd get this one: http://www.bettsmetalsales.com/p-For...se-Micromotor/ as I think a micromotor would work much better in the space I have. I am aware of the frightening hammer action handpiece price btw should I ever want one!

Well a couple more days pondering perhaps, then I guess i'll need to decide!

Faith