Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Claw setting by hand?

Yes cup burrs could be deadly to stones in a Dremel. Personally I would give them a miss and make do with files and rubber polishers.

It is quite difficult to choose just one, because they seem to be sized by the outside diameter, so you might need to try more than one to accommodate to your wire. Also there are several types, some for cutting and some for smoothing. Dennis.

Oh yes I was forgetting you were using a Dremel, I don't think I would want to risk cup burrs on amethysts in a Dremel as you can't go slow enough..... damn, maybe you will have to have that new toy after all LOL

Thanks Sarah and Dennis

Well Sarah i don't think you'll need to worry, but let's see what santa brings

Thanks for the advice on the burrs I'll do as you say, the only thing I don't understand is what difference a hart burr versus a setting burr makes in a setting like this? I feel like they're going to end up doing the same thing, but possibly that's ignorance of how it will work!

Many thanks again
    Faith

You get a wider cut on the setting burr so if you are just using it to cut the claws its wider than you need.

Thanks Sarah

Looks like this thread maybe appropriately titled after all, seems there's a UK pre Christmas Foredom micromotor shortage

Faith

Hi Sarah,

Space really, my bench is built wall to wall across a room with shelves above and a window to the side such that there's no where good to hang a pendant or put a stand for one. A micromotor could just sit happily on the bench. And I prefer the idea of the super flexible cable, I feel like I'd get on better with that.

Faith

Ah fair enough, I hope you can find one for christmas then

Cousins have this one, and while they are not our favourite suppliers, it is unlikely to go wrong, or will be dealt with faithfully by Foredom USA if it does.

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/mo...r?code=K1070CE

However you need to check the guarantee period and whether it will accept an optional hammer handpiece. Dennis.

Thanks Sarah I'm crossing my fingers!

Thanks Dennis, I'd seen that one too, but I wasn't sure I could bring myself to order from there... I may however, have found another one! I should know for sure tomorrow

Ta for the reminder about the warranty, it will take a hammer action handpiece tho they're just a bit more expensive than the ones for pendants cos each handpiece has its own weeny motor.

Faith