Thread: Liver of Sulphur problems!

Angry Liver of Sulphur problems!

Hi all. Hoping someone can give me some guidance on creating a patina on silver using lump LoS. I've tried oxidising a few things and it's worked fine on sheet silver and chain, but when I try to oxidise silver wire, I'm coming unstuck - or rather the patina is. It's flaking off as soon as it's dry. I gather that this can happen if the solution is too strong, but I'm putting the tiniest shard of LoS in about 100ml of hot water. The instructions say mix 1oz with 1 quart water, so that seems about right to me, proportionally. What could I be doing wrong? Apologies if this is a frequently asked question. I've done a board search, but can't see anything that relates to my specific problem.

Many thanks!

The flakiness can be due to the action being too rapid, so keep it cool and very diluted.
    It might also be that the wire is too shiny, so try pulling it through a piece of Scotchbrite pad, or folded sand paper. Dennis.

Thanks, Dennis. That makes sense - I'll give both of those suggestions a go.

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Quote Originally Posted by Patricia 71 View Post
    Thanks, Dennis. That makes sense - I'll give both of those suggestions a go.
    have you tried using Gel?

Hi Wallace. Thanks for this. I haven't tried using gel. Is it easier? I'm aware of how toxic LoS is and I suppose I thought the lump version might be easier to store safely, but that may not be the case.

Patricia

I second the gel. I use it a lot and it seems to work a lot quicker (goes black very quickly) and has never 'flaked' for me. Its the long life patina gel I use. It's safe and I believe non toxic in this form.

I've always used Platinol Oxidising Solution 100ml Un1760 and never had any issues

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Quote Originally Posted by Patricia 71 View Post
    Hi Wallace. Thanks for this. I haven't tried using gel. Is it easier? I'm aware of how toxic LoS is and I suppose I thought the lump version might be easier to store safely, but that may not be the case.

Patricia
    Gel is super stable. Stinks, of course and has been known to be a skin irritant (but then and again so has washing up liquid) -yes, it does also have to be handled carefully and in a well ventilated area and should never be mixed with other chemicals. Gel comes in a container and can be used neat, or diluted. Neat gives nearly black all the time and reacts really quickly if thickly coated.
    Last edited by Wallace; 11-12-2016 at 11:53 PM.

Thanks, Lottek. I'll look into the gel.

Thanks for this, Samantha. It sounds like there are some easier options for me to try.