Thread: silver box

Default silver box

Hi everyone - I am making a small oval box which will be a pendant.
    I was wondering, is it better to have the rim inside the box part or the lid? Or doesn't it matter?
    Thanks

Well for my boxes I put the rim inside the box

If you can cut the lid from the box then that means they are exactly the same size and then putting the collet in the base is quite easy and makes a perfect fit
    Last edited by CJ57; 08-12-2016 at 08:07 PM.

I have no idea of the 'official' answer, but if the box sides are higher than the side of the lid, then putting the rim inside the box would give more strength to the component. Presumably the lid has a small 'side' so will be stiff on it's own.

I think inmost cases the rim is put inside the box. This uses a little more metal and is slightly more difficult to do, but also makes it easier to put the lid on. At least it would be for me.

Having the rim, or flange in the lid might also cause it to impact or jam on the contents.

Of course you can do without the rim and simply make the lid a little larger than the body, so that it fits over it. Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 08-12-2016 at 08:36 PM.

I never thought of cutting the lid from the box - much better idea, thanks. Is the collet just a strip?

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    I think inmost cases the rim is put inside the box. This uses a little more metal and is slightly more difficult to do, but also makes it easier to put the lid on. At least it would be for me.

Having the rim, or flange in the lid might also cause it to impact or jam on the contents.

Of course you can do without the rim and simply make the lid a little larger than the body, so that it fits over it. Dennis.
    Thanks Dennis, I think I am going to try out a few different versions...

This is an oval box type locket that I had to make when training as an apprentice way back in 1963.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	144a Oval locket in parts 1963.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	40.7 KB 
ID:	9659

James

Quote Originally Posted by theresa View Post
    I never thought of cutting the lid from the box - much better idea, thanks. Is the collet just a strip?
    Yes just a thinner narrow strip soldered as you would a ring and then shaped and soldered into the base. I used to use a piece of stiff paper to get the size and that seemed to work ok. It's a while since I made mine