Thread: liver of sulphur - different types of results

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Default liver of sulphur - different types of results

yup the stuff that stinks. Just a few examples of its use with silver metal. I prefer to use a Gel based formula as it stays useable for a long time and I don't get much peeling when going for the matt black effect

Attachment 9654
    this little rabbit was coated in a pure gel solution and rinsed 5 times. I have used Protectaclear to preserve the colouring as using Renaissance Wax Polish can change the colours to a duller shade.

Attachment 9655
    Again I painted on gel LoS this was again a five rinse solution, but on the last rinse, it was a warm one to bring out the blue hues to go with the little sapphire.

Attachment 9657
    this celtic pendant has the back plate dipped in a warm solution of LoS 50/50 warm water to solution. On the last dip, as the colour had taken, rinsed it in hot water to bring out the black. This was given a coating of Renaissance Wax as it gave the slight dull / satin effect I was after.

Attachment 9658
    The Great Wave was a mix of dipping sessions, some less than others, depending on what was needed, but all cold dips, where there is colour. Wax was used again, for the duller effect.
    Last edited by Wallace; 08-12-2016 at 12:14 AM.

Thank you Wallace for showing how versatile Los can be when manipulated to give all those effects. My favourite is the rabbit. Dennis.

Very nice examples Wallace - so many subtle shades in the wave and the rabbit - fantastic!

Love them all Wallace! absolutely beautiful!
    Im very lazy with LOS, I paint it on with a tiny brush then heat the piece until its the colour I want, never had blue from it though .

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Thank you Wallace for showing how versatile Los can be when manipulated to give all those effects. My favourite is the rabbit. Dennis.
    thank you Dennis, I think the additional graver work helped with that effect too

Quote Originally Posted by -Sally- View Post
    Very nice examples Wallace - so many subtle shades in the wave and the rabbit - fantastic!
    thank you Sally, lots of subtle shades, LoS can be a real bonus for silver work.

Quote Originally Posted by enigma View Post
    Love them all Wallace! absolutely beautiful!
    Im very lazy with LOS, I paint it on with a tiny brush then heat the piece until its the colour I want, never had blue from it though .
    Thank you Sarah. LoS to get the blue needs a cold rinse, in my experience. About four dips, or for rinses, depending on technique, should start to bring it out. It happens before it starts to turn to grey then black, if I recall correctly

Amazing work. Seems los has no more secrets for you. My favorite is the Wave. I love when jewellery meets art. I'm modelizing a ring with thr firsts words of an Apollinaire's poem, and i'm struggling trying to texture the letters to enhance them. Colorize them could be great. It would be a first for me.
    You're inspiring.
    Last edited by Plasmeo; 08-12-2016 at 12:31 AM.
    He who is valiant and pure of spirit may find the Holy Grail in the castle of aaauuuggghhh...
    http://plasmeo.com | uncomplete
    http://facebook.com/plasmeo

Interesting thanks Wallace! I have a ring I would really like to get the blue on- its currently black LOS- so I will have to see if I can get it now!