Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Casting alloys at home... advice

Default Casting alloys at home... advice

Right... I am wondering if anyone has ever treid to cast a mixture of silver and brass at home... ? Cant seem to find anything on the Web about this and Im interested in making brass jewellery at home but I was hoping to get it a bit whiter so a form of white brass... I've ordered brass casting grains that are led and nickel free and before I start experimenting just like that I want to check if any one knows anything at all about this as a metal mixture and have any advice about it...

Thanks ever so much 😎
    Tina

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

Should not be a problem so long as you have enough heat

It does seem a shame to waste silver in this way. Reading this article it seems that adding a small amount of aluminium might be a cheaper option: http://encyclopedia2.thefreedictionary.com/White+brass.

I've got some proportions somewhere on making up silver solder by adding brass to silver.
    I hope you're fully read-up on brass casting & the attendant zinc fuming.

Cheers guys for your fast response and input very much appreciated 😃
    I do have an electric furnace and a the possibility to cast on our outside balcony but should probably read up a bit more on the fumes before I have a go... aluminium might be a good alternative price wise as well but feel I really need to try out with the silver too... I know that the silver gets ruined but I imagine it would "add" to the value of the jewellery rather than using just brass... and I know that brass with either gold plate or silver plating is used very frequently in the industry at the moment but you do have the problem with the plating wearing off after a little while...

Quote Originally Posted by Swissswede View Post
    I know that the silver gets ruined but I imagine it would "add" to the value of the jewellery rather than using just brass...
    Not really - all you have is brass with a bit of silver in it rather than any added value. If you were to try another alloy such as shibuichi, then at least it has some history behind it.

Just give it a fancy name and call it 9ct silver 😀

Sent from my XT1580 using Tapatalk

Don't even think about mentioning the S word.

Brass is dirty to cast, silver is much nicer to work with, also lots of info online about flask and casting temperatures etc. You will need defiantly to cast brass in a well ventilated area. the cost per ring isnt much different between the 2 metals in the big scheme of things unless of course your mass producing the stuff or makimg big heavy things

In what sense do you mean dirty? I'm happy to hear about any experience you have with brass... I haven't done any casting with it yet and I've got myself a face mask along with planning to do it on our balcony which is in the open air..
    I know a lot of casting companies will cast jewellery in brass "mass production " if you send in a model, and that a lot of jewelers then have the pieces gold plated or silver plated... but also I've also come across jewelers who do not plate the brass at all... either way I would like to see the result of colour etc if I mix it with a bit of silver... and for the name I would probably just call it white brass if it's a bit whiter in colour.