Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gemstone pendant with horse hoof....

Default Gemstone pendant with horse hoof....

Im finally finding time to work on some new ideas as I got all my christmas orders done early- I didn't take on too many this year as I was worried about the post and can't cope with the stress.
    This is a present for my mother in law using a polished clipping from our horses hoof as a stone along with amethyst and Spinel.
    I really like the Spinel, it has great sparkle and comes in quite a few colours
    Im also much much happier with my setting now I can do it all under the microscope.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	joycependant.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	54.1 KB 
ID:	9651

That's good Sarah, it all comes together nicely and the hoof clipping is not only a memento, but allows you to design a cabochon. Will there be all different shades? Dennis.

Looks great and such a cool idea

It looks great, and those stones aren't easy to set.

Could you tell us what microscope setup you've got, or point me to a thread where you've discussed this already?

Thanks for the lovely comments Dennis, Josef and Aurarius
    Yes Dennis, the hoof clippings have an interesting range of shades from cream through yellow, brown and black, they also often have striations too, this one is actually an olive brown for 2/3rd and then black but the lighting doesn't show it very well , I still struggle with photography.

The leaf shaped amethyst was a pig to set Aurarius, I thought I had it finished then it suddenly tipped over in the setting, cue much swearing lol.
    Ive got a Leica S4E that I got second hand on Ebay for about £700 I think.
    Ive had it a couple of years actually but didn't get on with it very well until I recently purchased a GRS block, I was too dim to realise that if the items weren't held 100% steady it wouldn't keep them in focus for me to work...... , I know, doh, right?

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

how lovely Sarah - great setting job too x

Sarah, are you confident about the stability of the horn.
    I only ask as my experience of hoof is that at best it dries out and shrinks and curls up, at worst it can get a bit smelly.
    I have had preserved specimens of complete hoof capsules, but they also did not maintain a perfect hoof form.
    Did you varnish or wax it or anything

Thanks Wallace

Trialuser, yes, it should be stable now, I boiled it at length a year ago and have kept it for a year to see if it was going to be ok.
    It shrinks massively within the first couple of days after cutting then alters again after boiling and finally again when it dries out but then it appears to stabilise.
    Are you a hoof geek too?

, well yes, I was a hoof geek. I was a farrier as a young man until I knackered my back.
    I remember being followed around yards by hungry slobbering dogs, eager for hoof.

Yep, not good on your back thats for sure, I only trim my own and mostly they self trim here in Portugal so not too bad.
    Thankfully the dogs have no interest in the boiled up version so don't run off with my jewellery LOL