Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie Silverspinner

Default Newbie Silverspinner

Hello everyone,
    My background is silver spinning small items in light gauges, based around the Birmingham area. I am hoping to add more detail to some of my items with some twisted wire work, as well as advice on soldering more delicate items. Is there anybody local who could help?
    thanks, Paul.

We would love to learn more about spinning. In return most of us can trouble shoot soldering of delicate items, once you can post pictures. Welcome to the forum, Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2ro The Lotus Rings.jpg   2ro Two Rings One Finger.jpg  

+1 on wishing to hear about your spinning.
    Welcome to the forum

I had to google spinning and you would be amazed at how many spinner rings came up and not the actual, I thought terrifying, process of spinning silver. Will also be interested to see this

Likewise - it's on my to-do list as a way of forming mokume gane vessels, I just need to build up some tooling to do it. I'm aware that an ML7 isn't the best solution, but it's what's available to me.

Welcome Paul,
    I am a trade trained goldsmith and know about spinning, I was taught how to do it by Henry Pierce. I am now retired, but when I needed large silver spinnings for parts of my my table centre epergnes my friend Stefan Coe helped me out, luckily Stefan has a workshop nearby. I only did small spinning jobs for myself like the mount on the top of this flower vase, spun in gold before being engine turned.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	25a Blue flowers RC.bottle.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	25.8 KB 
ID:	9652

James

Thanks very much for you replies, I had a quick search of Youtube and the nearest i could find was this [ Hand Metal Spinning a Pewter Baby Cup on a Lathe ]
    Once you have made a pattern (5mm to 30cm diameter) to form your material over and selected the correct gauge (0.2mm to 2mm) that's it. You can spin many types of metal ( Copper, brass, pewter, aluminium, gold, platinum etc) but silver is the pick of the bunch for me.
    thanks again, Paul.

How interesting! I hadn't heard of it either, just had to youtube it.

Peter, ML7 will handle small stuff no problem, you will most likely have to make up your own tool rest

I did my small spinnings on my old Boxford lathe, but you really need a big lathe for serious bowl spinning.

This is my mate Stefan Coe at his spinning lathe.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	036- Stefan Coe spinning.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	40.0 KB 
ID:	9653

James