Thread: Trouble soldering jump ring on chunky piece

Default Trouble soldering jump ring on chunky piece

I wonder if anyone can offer some tips on soldering a jump ring shut which will attach a charm to a cuff bracelet.

My main issue is that not much of the jump ring is visable and accessable to the torch due to the cuff and charm being in the way, therefore only a tiny portion of the jump ring can be gotten to.

Help please?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

If you have a torch with small pointed flame then you can use a small T shaped soldering clamp to hold the jump ring clear for soldering.

A clamp like this;

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	24 T clamps in use, script page.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	41.5 KB 
ID:	9628

James

How chunky is the jump ring - would it be an option just to close it tightly shut and not solder it at all?

If the jump ring has a little surplus solder melted onto its join, then reflux, keep it in close contact with the charm as already advised and reheat the charm. The solder will flow again and attach.

However as Suzie says, a small heavy jump ring perfectly closed, should be resistant enough. Dennis.

This is the jump ring I am trying to solder

I would prefer to close the jump ring.

I have tried all sorts of methods, and set ups although I have not attempted pick soldering it yet which generally has a better success rate for me when it comes to jump rings usually.

Maybe I'm just having a bad soldering day!

I am interested in how others would set this up ready for soldering.

So far I have had the tweezers at about 3 o'clock with the join at 12 o'clock so the cuff and charm are at about 6 o'clock and dangled the cuff on a tripod but like I say I can't get the torch to access much of the jump ring apart from the where join is.

I would use Easy paste solder. Grab the butterfly in cross locking tweezers including its ring if you are able to and place it so it "pulls" away from the bangle so as much of the unsoldered ring is exposed as possible. You may need to pin down the bangle too. Use a fine tipped torch and aim it at the back of the jump ring away from the join and also on the ring exposed underneath the bangle if needed.

Sometimes I find that if I concentrate on heating the firebrick first and then solder what I want to it works better too.

I think the problem may be that you need to get the whole piece ( including the cuff) hotter?
    Personally I would probably put the 3rd hand tweezer point through the ring with the butterfly hanging down on one side and the cuff on the other- maybe support the cuff too.
    Then using easy paste I would heat the bangle up first then play the torch between bangle, butterfly and ring until it flows.
    Nice piece

You should be able with some fiddling to stand the jump ring on end with tweezers and not touching the cuff only have to heat the ring and charm. I would be tempted to replace the jump ring with one already hardened and a good thickness and close it tight without soldering. The charm isn't going to fall off as there is no strain on it. If it's a clean cut and closed well it should barely be seen

My first impression is that the jump ring is no where like closed enough, but certainly sufficient without soldering.
    To solder you would be adding a small item to a mass of metal, so I would do as follows:

Suspend the jump ring with joint uppermost, in self closing tweezers, preferably on a stand (third hand), so that the cuff and charm hang down out of the way.

Use easy or extra easy solder to reduce the heat required.

Heat all the metal with a large torch, in semi darkness until it barely glows. Then home in with a small torch in the other hand to make the solder flow.

Some of this has already been said above and I only repeat it to sketch out the sequence. Dennis.