Thread: How do I achieve this pearl white finish which will remain on the silver unlike leavi

Default How do I achieve this pearl white finish which will remain on the silver unlike leavi

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5493.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	11.9 KB 
ID:	9647

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

with photoshop?

Taking things a little more seriously, it looks rather like a piece that's been pickled, but not polished.

I saw it up close and it looked as it does in the picture. Do you think you can get that effect with etching?

George has the answer, the effect is typical of pickling in hot alum (a kind of etching after all). You can also achieve something similar by sand blasting. (actually not sand but Aluminium oxide, I think).

However it is quite a useless effect and you would be selling an illusion, because the slightest contact with a hard object will cause unsightly marks and scratches, which can only be removed by repeating the process.

Another unwanted effect is that it greatly speeds up the tendency to tarnish. Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 05-12-2016 at 05:12 AM.

I was just about to say the same as Dennis. I too really like the colour of silver out of the pickle but it marks really badly and there is no other way of getting that effect.

That's been really helpful. Thank you. Do you think there is a type of flick mop or polishing/filing disc that may achieve a similar finish? Bek

Nothing that gives that flat look Bek. The nearest I can find are the sponge sanding pads for clay http://www.cooksongold.com/Enamellin...prcode-975-125
    I use them for a Matt finish especially if the are well worn down but it's not the same. They aren't too expensive, they also do a cheaper pack of 3 so you could give them a try and see what you think. It's the milkiness that's attractive though and I haven't found a way of reproducing that

These came out of the pickle and I really like this finish:/ Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1406.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	31.3 KB 
ID:	9648
    Last edited by CJ57; 05-12-2016 at 11:25 PM.

Isn't it frustrating that we don't seem to be able to capture and maintain that milky look from the pickle stage. Im so grateful for your advice about finishing products. I am a stickler for a very tidy finish unless of course I want to capture that 'artefact' look. Don't get me started on how to achieve the blackest black Matt finish that doesn't fade. Im interested that highly polished silver isn't enough. We want to manipulate it! Thank you all! Bek

The clue is in the word 'silver'. Matte white, black, and mirror, all three, are just not sustainable because silver reverts to its natural state in use.

And that is antique grey with shiny highlights. If you want milky white you must use un-dyed anodised aluminium. Dennis.