Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you think real photo of Digital Render ?

Default What do you think real photo of Digital Render ?

Just for fun and the chance to win 250 cyber points for the correct answer, Is this a real photo or a digital render and what made you decide on an answer ????

It looks real to me - I'm trying to think of a way to say why - other than because it doesn't look not real!
    Subtle surface textures? Highlights? - Well done if it's rendered - it would easily fool me (but that's not saying much...)
    Sally

Im thinking rendered, because of the way the shadow is under the neck and the way the cheek is but if it is its brilliant as it does look real!

I'm thinking rendered too for no specific reason other than it looks both real and at the same time a bit too fluid. Difficult to explain really

The background is definitely real.
    The piece I'm going to go for real as well - but. On the one hand, there are some marks over by the tail that would be more trouble than they're worth to put into a render, but some of the highlights look too clean. Photoshop using a render to clean it up?
    Struggling to work out where your lights were as well, every time I think I can see what the angles are I find a highlight that stymies the assumptions.

I would say that this is a dragon pendant which has been hand carved in wax and then cast.
    My reasons are that the segments are not regularly irregular, nor are the balls on the bail. Also there are signs of porosity, for instance in the arrowhead of the tail.
    It has been antiqued with a patinating agent and the high spots rubbed up. Because it has been lit by more than one lamp, the incidence of light is from various directions.
    The background shows fibres and fluff. All this signals to me that it is real. Dennis.

The suspense is too much! What's the answer, and why the question?
    Sally

Ok its a 100% digital render (apart from the hairs on the background, they were cut from a photo with Photoshop), I rendered the model and the image has had lots of time spent on it and lots of post processing with photoshop which was done by my very talented friend also called Joe (he will be reading that so thought I better put that in ;-) ) .Hes a bit of a wizz at PS. I was interested in finding out what people would spot, Joe and myself were trying our hardest to make the render look as real as we could just for the fun of it. It has had digital 'noise' added to it and also 'dust' layer thats what created the pits in the tail etc I have included a picture of the tail so you can see it before. The process described by Dennis was what I had in my head as I built it up. The reason for the question was to get feedback from people who are looking at jewellery all the time and then I can change and add things to the render as I go on. People I have asked also in the trade were about 50/50 so Im pleased thanks for your answers and please feel free to pick your cYber points up !!!!
    I have printed the model today and will cast it and photograph it so you can compare the two.

The CAD model made in a sculpting software to make it more not computer made

the tail section with out any Photoshopping

A picture showing how the metal was blackened

The printed model ready to be cast
    Last edited by josef1; 01-12-2016 at 08:19 PM.

Very impressive!
    Sally