Thread: Sourcing Copper & Silver for Gold Alloying

Question Sourcing Copper & Silver for Gold Alloying

Hi,

I'm looking to create my own 18kt gold, I'm hoping to create a deep yellow gold alloy. After researching some alloy recipes I've decided I'll take my chances on Gold 75%, Copper 15%, Silver 10%.

My question is, must I source pure copper and silver? I can of course find 999 'fine-silver' but I haven't seen any indications of purity for copper products. There appears to be no fine-silver or copper grain on Cooksongold. What am I supposed to use?

Many thanks.

That's an experiment which is likely to end in disappointment, because the colour you are hoping for is close to that of pure gold.

Cooksons 22 and 18ct are already beautiful and anything you can mix will be indistinguishable to the untrained eye.

However they say that they will provide grains of metals to order, or you could use a gold bullion bar and for silver and copper snip 2.00mm wires. Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 25-11-2016 at 05:36 AM.

Hi
    I believe that a deep yellow colour is usually obtained by adding zinc, in which case you should use a defined brass alloy (+ copper +/- silver if required), which should be obtainable from base metal suppliers.
    Cheers Matt