Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OCPTT-What I have Learned About Flush Setting.

That's really nice Dennis, very covetable. How long would you say it took you to set all those stones, so carefully too.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurarius View Post
    Very nice precise work, Dennis.
    Are you willing to tell us how you made the box?
    Thank you Mark. The main concern was to make sure that all the sides were square and equal. I started with an expanded diagram on graph paper, so as to have a visual to refer to.

Then briefly:
    1. I scored a piece of textured metal sheet 51.00mm x 49.mm (approx 2" square) in the centre, using a carpenters mitre block and a hack saw, cutting about half way through. Then I followed with a square file until there was a neat right angle groove 2" long and not quite through.
    2. Next I cut the sheet into two equal pieces across the score, annealed the pieces and bent them to right angles, checking them on my graph paper.
    3. Having soldered the angles and readjusted them for any movement, each angle piece was rubbed, edges down, on a flat abrasive sheet to give them a 45°angle. At the same time the sides were measured and re-measure to keep them all equal.
    4. The angle pieces were then held together with binding wire to form the sides of the box and soldered.
    5. Lastly the height of the square tube so produced was reduced to allow for the thickness of the top and bottom pieces.
    6. Once the bottom piece was on it was trimmed close, marked out and pre-drilled for the figure two, so acting as a vent, before adding the top.

The layout for the stones was drawn on squares of graph paper and temporarily glued to the surfaces with Pritt, for drilling. Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 22-11-2016 at 09:56 PM.

Thank you Sue. As you see from the above, the holes were drilled using a layout on squares of graph paper. This was followed by setting burrs of a size to match the stones. This took about 45 minutes. Setting of the 21 stones took just under two hours more.
    Of course, I do this quite infrequently. A setter would have it finished in less than half the time. Dennis.

Flippin heck Dennis, that's so impressive! I don't think I'd ever be able to achieve anything like that, no matter how long I try. I'm well jell of your skills