Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chain cutter

Default Chain cutter

Hello
    I bought a chain cutter because I have a frozen shoulder, so sawing is difficult. It's the kind with a lever which is pulled down to rotate a tube-shaped blade. It is advertised as suitable for chain, wire, or flat silver or other metals. So far I have found it worse than useless because it doesn't seem to cut cleanly, and because it has no end-plate it's difficult to get a right angle. Has anyone else had this problem, please?

Sorry, I'm having some difficulty working out which one it is - do you have a link to it with a picture?

Thank you very much for thinking about this, Peter.
    I haven't made 5 posts yet but as soon as I have I'll be able to post a link.

This is the link. I but most things from Cooksons and wish I could have got this from them.
    https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/gu...rs?code=G34939 [/URL]

Sadly Cousins are not known for accepting returns, but even if you don't find a use for it now, it might click later. Dennis.

I don't think it will ever be much use, Dennis. The uneven lip it leaves - a tear rather than a crisp cut - makes a joint for soldering impossible. I might as well use ordinary cutters and a file. I was hoping that this would have replaced doing that, as I always seems to file end at just slightly the wrong angle. Oh well - a lesson to me to avoid shortcuts and work at my skills instead.

Would these http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery...rcode-997-3027
    make a good enough flush cut in sterling wire 1.00mm to 1.5mm so that it would not need to be filed before soldering? I'd like to make myself some stacking rings, and I can't seem to file without making cuts worse than they started. Not being lazy - shall work on this - but would these help meanwhile?

Is there no way you can use a piercing saw Sandie? nothing will cut as good as a saw blade. It is possible to use a saw frame without any stress on your shoulder, you just need to have a steady saw peg and a seat that enables you to sit at the right height to work from. I use the lightweight KnewConcept saw frames and find them easy to use now that my hands and arms are getting weaker in old age.

James

I would take heed of what James has said. There is nothing better than doing it the right way, using a fine saw blade.

The Tronex flush cutters will cut thin soft wires flush on one side, but leave a ridge on the other side. So for soldering you would need to turn the cutters over to nip the ridge off.
    They are good for what they do, but with frequent use will quickly become blunt and will be difficult to restore. Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 20-11-2016 at 01:21 PM.

I love this: http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery...rcode-997-169A for filing my wire edges square.

However I use it less and less now I have learned the ring making trick of turning the wire into the round before cutting, then cutting both marks (I make first mark a couple of mill from the end of the wire) from the same direction into the centre of the circle. Even if my cut is wonky they are both the same wonky and therefore match up.

I sympathise with the frozen shoulder - I suffered for 18 months with my right, had three months off and am now in the 'frozen' stage with my left.