Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Finishing Pierced Pieces

Default Finishing Pierced Pieces

Hi all,

I am new to jewellery making and have done a little piercing, which I love. I have pierced a celtic knot, but the piercings are so small I can't get my needle files inside them. I have a dremel, but I'm not sure what bits would be best for this job. Any ideas?

For cleaning up small pierced sections you need escapement files; http://www.cooksongold.com/category_...capement+files I also grind the points and edges of standard needle files to get in tight pierced sections. You cannot use a Dremel for cleaning anything but round pierced holes.

James

Don't forget that the smallest files you already have will be your saw blades . They can act as files using mainly the sides and even reversed in the frame for a gentler effect. Dennis.

James,

Thanks very much for your advice. I guess that will be another purchase for my toolbox then! Appreciate your assistance.

Gaby

Dennis,

I will try the reversed saw blade trick and see what happens. Thanks for your help.

Gaby

Gaby, can you post a photo of your piercing project showing which sections you wish to improve.

James

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

you could also get some micromesh and cut it down to fit the area Cookson sells it HERE IS THE LINK

put your piece in a holding mechanism (I sometimes tape them to the end of my peg, or clamp on a flat end of the bench) and pull through, a bit like using a polishing thread, but with some abrasion. You can even cut them up in fine strips (much like fine sand paper, which would also work) and put them in your saw frame.

James, picture attached. No laughing at my first attempt! I guess what I want to improve is all of it! I would also love to know the best way to mark out the surface lines of the pattern so that they show up easily. Any input greatly appreciated.

GabyClick image for larger version. 

Name:	FB_IMG_1479415393346.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	23.3 KB 
ID:	9587

Wallace, just had a look at your website. Your pieces are stunning. I especially like the ivy. Your celtic knot looks a wee bit like the pattern I am using, but only in my dreams will it look as good as yours!

Gaby

Hi Gaby. I do a lot of piercing work, particularly Celtic patterns and agree with Dennis about using the saw blade for the inside work. I will use a file if I can get it inside the hole but otherwise it's all done with the blade.