Thread: 4mm Emeralds not fitting in 4mm snaptite studs...

Default 4mm Emeralds not fitting in 4mm snaptite studs...

I've never used snaptite settings before, nor ever set gemstones in anything before, so please forgive my stupidity! All the "how to" videos I've watched say how "easy" it is to use snaptites - just push the setting over the gem and it snaps in place and it's done. However, the 4mm faceted emeralds I bought from here seem to be too thickset round the edge to fit at all in the 4mm snaptites - the prongs are forced off the sides of the gems, surely this isn't right? Do I need to go for 5mm snaptites to accommodate this chunkyness? I've measured the gems and settings and both are indeed 4mm it seems...

Has anyone else set faceted gemstones from this site into snaptites? I was hoping to be able to start setting gemstones this way as it's fast and "easy" but if all the stones I buy from here are the same and won't fit into snaptites I'll don't want to waste time and money. Any advice anyone could offer would be very gratefully received!

Unfortunately not all stones are created equal, you may need to shape the settings to accommodate the stones, If you look at the side profile of the stone (you may need a loupe) you need to make that profile the same as in the claw this can be done with a needle file taking a small amount away at a time keeping things level, its usually the underside of the setting that needs adjusting

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	20.9 KB 
ID:	9585

I see! Thank you so much for taking the time to reply Josef. Do you think most faceted gemstones would require such work for snaptite setting, or is it better to just go for something like the buttercup claws etc they sell on here?

Im not sure as I make my own settings but I would imagine they are done for diamond proportions like the diagram

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cut-ideal-proportions.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	13.7 KB 
ID:	9586

most CZ are done similar to this but as things are hand cut etc it changes from stone to stone

Its probily best to learn how to alter what you have maybe ?