Thread: How to approach vague commissions

Question How to approach vague commissions

I've had commissions in the past of variations of my own work but I've been given a big commission by a client who would like a "basket weave or weave" bracelet for his wife.
    He doesn't care what width, he's provided her wrist size but he says he will leave this to me to show him ideas.
    I've never done weave yet so this will be a first...

I'm stuck, I've been doodling ideas all day but I don't feel confident about it unless I can physically make something and see it for myself.

Does anyone have any advise on how to take on a first time commission and what you would do to experiment.

I'm a pretty confident crafter in Metal but all my techniques are self taught from books and videos and this client seems to have faith I can do this. Just don't know where to start...

I'd play around with copper, just to make some samples and get an idea of techniques. Round vs flat wire will change the appearance drastically. Use identical wires, or use different widths etc. If you score each bend then you get a tight weave, or if you dont then it is looser and more organic- you can then hammer it to get a flatter organic effect. After that you should have an idea of what you think would look good and can send some ideas off.

Hi Angel,
    I'm great fan of working things out directly with copper, because unlike doodling, that immediately tells you whether a design is possible.
    Copious amounts of cheap copper wire are available in a metre of earth wire from an electrical shop, DIY store, or wholesaler.

My picture shows the buckle of a large chain made for a catwalk show. The wires were first soldered together in threes and the resulting strips gently flattened in my mill. This would be optional. They were then re-annealed, woven and soldered to make a background weave. Finally a frame was soldered on top and any surplus cut away.

Using a similar system you could make it in the flat as a long oval and finally bend it into a cuff shape.The point of my third picture is just to show the reverse. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Earth Cable.jpg   Cc2 The Buckle.jpg   Cc3 The Hooks.jpg  

The answer, I feel, is in the question: show him ideas

Irene From Peterson's book Silver Wire Jewelry: Projects to Coil, Braid and Knit might give you some ideas and you can practice first to make sure you can deliver it too.
    Also consider kumihimo but note some braids are flat and others more 3d

I have had commissions where people have come to me and said " I want a piece of jewellery to remind me of X ( insert anything really from a place to a cat!) so this one isn't really vague to my mind LOL
    As said above, just show them photos of any ideas you can incorporate into the design as long as you are able to do it.
    I often use Google images to show them ideas that they can pick various aspects from- NOT to copy, I hasten to add but just to help show them ideas as 2D sketching isn't always that easily interpreted by people.
    Then when you get close if you have time you could make the item in copper- I generally will only make a mock up if its a gold item myself as thats too expensive to get wrong although have occasionally done a copper mock up too.

My opinion on this is I maybe would get more info from the customer has he seen something he likes what colour metals etc , then try and steer the customer towards something you are happier making or you have experience doing. as has been said above copper wire is easy to work a concept out in
    Last edited by josef1; 15-11-2016 at 01:36 AM.

Thank you so much for all your ideas everyone,
    I never even thought about a trial in copper to show a demonstration.
    I drew up some ideas last night and presented them to him and he seems to have turned from the basketweave to a "birdsnest" type bracelet I doodled .
    So I have a good idea of what he is looking for.

However, now he says that if he's happy with the bracelet, he would like a "statement necklace to match"
    That will be obstacle 2 when I approach it.

Thanks everyone for the great advice and will hopefully post the end result soon once he is happy with the prototype x