Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soldering...again!

Default Soldering...again!

So I've been getting along ok with my soldering lately thanks to purchasing the Max Flame torch, although that's packed up on me now but that's another story!

I'm making a pair of very simple studs and I'm trying to sweat solder a smaller piece half on and half off onto a larger piece but the problem I'm having is that when the (hard) solder starts flowing so does the top piece...all over the place! I initially melted the solder onto the bigger piece and then positioned the smaller piece on top but as I said as soon as the solder starts to flow again the top piece slides all over the place and I just can't seem to reposition it in time before the solder hardenes again. I've tried using a third hand but that doesn't stay in position either.

I've abandoned my first efforts as they just ended up a mess and cut out some new pieces but just thought I'd ask for some advise before I attempt the soldering again. I did think that this time I'd try putting the solder on the smaller piece to see if that would work better.

Also I've been reading the thread about titanium soldering strips...maybe that's the answer but they look a bit big for this although would be useful for future projects.

Hi there angmc
    Ok, so its bonfire night, but people who really know what theyre doing will be along in time and be really helpful. In the meantime you seem to be stuck with me, if you are able to post pics, that will be really helpful. You could try using a soldering pick to hold the piece in place, made from titanium - cooksons sell them if you don't already have one, - along with other suppliers. If you are careful you could just poke it with the tweezers when it slides out of position. If you use your torch in your left hand if right handed (opposite, obvs if left) you will have more control using your right hand to poke back into position (I have found it much easier to control this kind of situation in this way, rather than using the torch in the dominant hand). I'm sorry, pathetic I know, but that's all I've got, but as I say, someone who's really good will be along and help out soon.
    Good Luck
    Sue
    Last edited by joella; 05-11-2016 at 08:33 PM.

I would always melt the solder onto the piece that goes on top, so the small piece. I don't know how big this is but I would also, if it's quite small, as it comes to heat pin the top piece in place with tweezers. If it's larger I would think that James will suggest clips

I would mix a small amount of rouge and paint onto the already soldered piece. Then when you want to do the 2nd soldering it should not move or re-melt. I used to use tippex, but now use rouge, as its much better.

hth xx
    Jules

The smaller piece is sailing away on the sea of molten solder. That can easily be prevented by any device that will rest on it to weigh it down, some of which have already been mentioned above:

Hand held tweezers or a hand held soldering pick.
    Surgical forceps which will support themselves, as will self closing soldering forceps resting on the edge of a block.
    The soldering clips of course, but also common or garden cotter pins, annealed and adjusted for light pressure.

My picture shows the surgical forceps (haemostats) easily available on line, but here used for another purpose.
    Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sb Supporting A Vertical Tube.jpg  

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. I've been doing a bit of experimenting with scraps and I think the problem was that I probably used too much solder and also that I melted it onto the larger piece rather than the smaller. Also the fact that the smaller top piece has to balance half on and half off the bottom piece so it's difficult to grip it with tweeezers or reposition it with a pick while keeping the torch going. On the first attempt I ended up melting the section of the top piece that hangs over the edge of the bottom one so obviously I need to try and avoid doing that again!

Yes a sea of moulten solder describes it perfectly! I did I did try holding it down with the tweezers in the third hand but there probably wasn't enough pressure as they kept moving too. I like the idea of those surgical forceps though.

Yes, too much solder is at the heart of it, but the devil of sweat soldering is that too little gives a poor result too, with little chance of remedy.

One thing I could mention, is that bevelling the lower edge of the top piece will tend to hold back the solder from spilling out.

If you have already tried to steady the rogue piece and failed, it could be that you were not holding your tweezers in you best hand (for most of us the right) and holding the torch in the other.

The soldering tweezers from your third hand can also be balanced on the edge of a brick, or a piece of broken brick, to act as a stabilizer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1078.jpg  

Sorry to keep repeating myself about the use of soldering clamps, but they do make this type of job easier, once you have made some clamps they last for years.

It sounds like this shape of clamp would have suited your job.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	16 2nd type clamp complete.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	62.5 KB 
ID:	9553 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	17 Example of use for 2nd type clamp.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	81.8 KB 
ID:	9554 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	38 Clamp set up for use.jpg 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	9555 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	42 Clamp in use.jpg 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	9556

James

Yes Dennis that was my dilema, how much solder to use especially with only half the top piece being in contact with the bottom piece and I probably overcompensated. I was using my dominant hand for the pick but still didn't have much control. I even dug a little indent in the soldering brick to hold the bottom piece so at least that would stay still while I was trying to position the top piece but that didn't work either. I'll try the bevelling suggestion and using a brick for balancing.