Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gimmel ring

Default Gimmel ring

I really love it when customers come to me with unusual requests, I hadn't even heard of Gimmel rings before a customer approached me asking if I could make one!
    The original request was for 3 bands with the horses heads on one band each and the heart sapphire on the 3rd but as my bands have to be a certain width to fit the braid in I advised against that as the final ring would be pretty wide.
    So we came up with this design on two bands instead.
    I found it very tricky to do as it was all designed and cut by hand, probably be much easier in CAD if I had it and knew how to use it but as Im a technophobe....
    If I had the choice I would have gone for a 5mm sapphire instead of 4mm as I think it would have been nicer to have had it come up higher into the horse heart shape.
    I would also have set the sapphire down into the band by preference although its worked ok with the 4mm but the heart would have stuck out too far around a 5mm.
    I also think the horse heads and bezel would be better in gold for strength and scratch resistance.
    The bands are 4mm wide with horsehair braid inlaid and the stone is a 4mm green sapphire.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gimmelring4.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	31.1 KB 
ID:	9558Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gimmelring5.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	27.3 KB 
ID:	9559

Love this set Sarah - and I love that it's all done by hand

Gorgeousness again!

That's beautiful Sarah I had to Google gimmel rings, old fashion stacking rings who knew! Really amazing setting as always too, looks superb

Faith

You did your customer proud, Sarah. She is lucky to have you. Dennis.

The two horse-head love heart is amazing. The pieces work wonderfully together.

I love that. Great design

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

That a very nice ring don't be concerned about doing it by hand it is becoming a lost art

Thanks for the lovely comments Faith, Dennis, Metalsmith,Metalmagic and China
    And Faith, yes I had to google it too, the 3 ring design is really cool as the rings are all linked together but no way I could do that with horsehair in the shanks so a bit of a compromise.