Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Soldering...again!

James, I'm definitely going to get some of those strips. Would I be able to shape them using No.2 saw blades?

Quote Originally Posted by angmc View Post
    James, I'm definitely going to get some of those strips. Would I be able to shape them using No.2 saw blades?
    I cut the ends of my strips with size 0 blades, mainly because they are the largest I have as I don't use any larger blades. You could also just file the points or use a grindstone. I have also milled the titanium strips down thinner to 0.70mm. thick for making some clamps.

These clamps were made from the milled down, thinner strips of Titanium.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	31b  A selection of shaped clamps copy.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	50.6 KB 
ID:	9557

James

Ok thanks. I'm a bit limited when it comes to tools/equipment so I'll probably just file them down.

Update...
    So I decided to purchase the titanium strips and waited until they arrived before I attempted the soldering again. I used the 'P' shape and have to say it worked a treat! It didn't budge at all! I think that shape might be good for holding bezels and ring shanks in place when soldering together. Anyway thanks for all the help on this.

Quote Originally Posted by angmc View Post
    Update...
    So I decided to purchase the titanium strips and waited until they arrived before I attempted the soldering again. I used the 'P' shape and have to say it worked a treat! It didn't budge at all! I think that shape might be good for holding bezels and ring shanks in place when soldering together. Anyway thanks for all the help on this.
    I am glad the clamp worked for you, this is how I clamp bezels and ring shanks;

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	09 Bezel+backplate clamped and fluxed.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	86.1 KB 
ID:	9573 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	17 Shank clamped in place ready for soldering.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	77.3 KB 
ID:	9574 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	23 Finished ring side view.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	31.8 KB 
ID:	9575

James