Thread: Giveaways - Gaining possible customers?

Question Giveaways - Gaining possible customers?

Just looking for opinions.

I've started my store a while ago and got a whopping 200+ followers on Facebook after a wee bit of advertising but I was thinking about doing a giveaway to hopefully gain some extra publicity and maybe a few Xmas sales.

Does anyone have any opinions on this idea - I see many handmade crafters doing this but unsure if it's worthwhile - I also have twitter and instagram for my store so was thinking about crossing the giveaway across these 3 platforms.

Thanks

Hi Belasta, we are lacking some crucial information here:

Advertising, however it's done comes with a budget as a percentage of your turnover.

But first of all, what are you thinking of giving away? Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 03-11-2016 at 01:00 PM.

Sadly I've just started out so I keep it to a minimum, using Facebook adverts for 3-5 days at a time.

Either way it will be a loss for the first year or so but just seeing if anyone thinks giveaways work or if it's a useless attempt to get your name out.

I usually do Silver pieces but at the moment I have made some little crystal necklaces and matching earrings - I was thinking about giving away these to gain a few more views and maybe some extra interest.

Thanks x
    Last edited by Belasta; 03-11-2016 at 01:40 PM.

The one thing I will say about FB is don't be drawn into paying or giving items away for page likes- they are pretty much irrelevant since FB stopped sharing your posts with people who like your page.
    What lots of people do is ask people to like and share a post for a chance to win an item which is ok as far as getting shares on that post but just don't worry about overall page likes.
    Have you got a 'shop now' button yet?

Yeh I have the etsy/FB shop now connected!
    I see a lot of traffic going through the shop without any interaction or advertising but they never seem to be sales. I'm getting a lot of my sales from parties and word of mouth but would like to get a bit more interaction from online.

I did a giveaway last month and got about 200 new likes from it, it was a very popular post and got lots of engagement and reach on my page, I will be doing another in the new year. Its all about getting others to see it, networking, posting about the giveaway in facebook groups, saying to like and comment to be entered in to the competition will mean that it comes up in their friends newsfeeds etc and spreads the word. I was giving away a birthstone ring which I knew would be a popular item and would retail at £75, I think that helped too. I think I had 400-500 entries in the end and the engagement on my shop was something crazy like 30,000

Hits which don't result in sales are as meaningless as people walking past a shop on a High Street.
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

but when you walk past a shop on a high street you see their items, and may return to get something, with online you don't have a shop so its just a way to get seen really

If it were free, no problem, but spending any money on advertising must be carefully assessed. Having lots of followers via any social media is good for the ego, but is it always good for sales? When I was getting started I have done events where there was continuous footfall through a craft tent, heaving at times, yet all (not just me!) reported abysmal sales.
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

The thing is if you give away an item that retails at £75 even though it hasn't cost you £75 to make its still £75 if you sold it.
    I tend to pay £5 to boost a post to people who like my page and their friends which works well for me as they will largely all be horsey people, not sure how well that would work for other types of jewellery as your market isn't so easily identifiable but you get a fair degree of exposure for £5 ( 3000-5000 people) so you would get a heck of a lot for £75.
    The other promotion that I find useful is to promote the shop now button.
    Its important to assess any type of promotion afterwards though to see if it actually brought any sales in.