Thread: Everbrite Protectaclear, a review.

Default Everbrite Protectaclear, a review.

This product has been mentioned here from time to time as a means of preserving brass and copper jewellery from tarnishing.

The smallest kit, containing 100ml of lacquer costs £15.50 at present, so it is by no means cheap. Also included are two cloths and a cleaning/degreasing agent called ERW-BD which might all be redundant.

The accompanying instruction are brief, but the gist is to finish the article completely and then neutralise any acid residue in a solution of soda crystals (I would say hot or even boiling), rinse it and then apply the diluted ERW-BD agent included and wash that off too.

Soda is a grease solvent, so I wonder about the necessity of yet another stage here.

Finally the lacquer is applied, by soaking the cloth and wringing out the surplus before use, dipping the object, or applying with a brush.

Well, soaking the cloth would be hugely wasteful. Dipping the object involves repeated removal of drips and runs with the edge of a piece of absorbent paper. Seeing this on a video convinced me that it was not a good way to spend my time.

So I used a soft, flat synthetic paint brush dipping into just a small amount dispensed into a shallow tin. They do not mention a solvent, but cleaning the brush was easily done with acetone.

Conclusion

I chose the satin version and applied to coats with a twenty four hour interlude. They remain invisible as claimed, without dulling the metal.

Only time will tell whether this option is an improvement on polyurethane lacquers or clear cellulose available much more cheaply in convenient aerosol cans. There is also a lingering industrial smell, which if it persists, might be objected to on jewellery. Dennis.

Nice one Dennis, do update us as to how it performs over time please

Thank you for taking the time to write that up Dennis - I too would be interested to know how well it wears.
    Sally

Glad someone has dipped a toe in - so to speak!