Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smith's Little Torch - What am I missing?

Default Smith's Little Torch - What am I missing?

I'd always been happy enough with my Maxflame butane torch - until I discovered that I couldn't complete one of Hans Meevis's tutorials using it (to melt the edge of some silver petals) - so, six months ago I got a good deal on a Little Torch and a used oxycon and even one of those touch piezo lighters (because I know what I'm like). I read up on safety, got all the relevant brass bits and flash back arrestors etc. set it all up and read up on how to use it.
    I tried it for one session - and haven't touched it since.
    My handheld torch is auto-lighting, operatable with one hand, takes seconds to turn on and off and pick up and put down - which I seem to do a lot - especially if I'm making a chain, and when it's switched on it's exactly the same flame as when it was switched off.
    So how do people cope with a little torch? After turning on the oxycon and the gas cannister, lighting it was scary and then it took me about 5 minutes to get the right flame piddling around with gas and oxygen knobs and then I had to piddle around with knobs in the right order to turn it off - and then do it all again to turn it back on - do people just leave it burning, or do they only do lengthy jobs with it - or am I completely missing something - online reviews rave about it.
    What did I do wrong?
    Sally

Are you allowing the oxycon to purge fully before trying to use the torch? I let mine run for a few minutes with the torch oxygen valve open, then shut it off and light it. Don't have the gas valve open too far, especially with the smaller tips, and add oxygen gradually until you get the flame type you want. If you don't purge the O2 first, you'll have a lot of variation in the flame until it settles.

The order is (always) gas on, light the torch, air (oxy) on; shutdown is air off, gas off.

Just a matter of getting used to it, takes me about 5 seconds to light and adjust the flame, (oxy-propane), I don't have a oxycon they are way to expensive and I have heard they lack pressure, the little torch is very versatile as you can adjust the flame , you have many times the heat available and in a much smaller flame allowing you to concentrate the heat in a smaller area, if you only ever work in silver you will most likely get buy with a propane torch however with gold an platinum the little torch or one of the many other similar torches is a must, I use mine for pretty much every thing.

They lack pressure in comparison with a cylinder, but there's plenty to drive a Little Torch. Even with the casting head.

Ok good to know still much cheaper here to use cylinders cheapest one I have seen is almost $1800

I have a slightly different one but same principle- oxygen and gas mix.
    I absolutely love it and never use my Sievert anymore.
    It takes a bit of getting used to getting the mix right to begin with but once you do it is very quick and easy and gives such a great degree of control over heat level and flame size its well worth it.
    i have the oxygen off when I light it with the gas on really low- just high enough to light it then adjust the oxygen and gas together until I get whatever size flame and temperature I feel I need for the job.
    I have accidentally melted a few things as I can be a tad impatient and have it too hot but that just a matter of getting used to it ( and being more patient lol)
    I don't leave it running but it really does only take seconds to adjust one you get the hang of it.

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    Ok good to know still much cheaper here to use cylinders cheapest one I have seen is almost $1800
    Look out for refurbished ones on ebay - either ex-medical use or lampworkers selling up. There are also some cheap Chinese ones around - you only need about 2lpi to run a little torch - so lampworkers are always upgrading as they're looking for 8-10 lpi or more for their big glass torches. Or take a look at tufnell glass here - I know Martin ships to pretty much anywhere.

Mine was from tuffnell glass and puts it plenty for my little torch. I didn't want the risk of oxygen canisters at home.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I think it will be some time before they become a viable option unless you are a fairly hi out put business, $1799, will purchase a lot of oxy refills, oxycon's are less expensive in the UK
    problem is the freight just kills any thought of it plus you have no warranty easily available

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    I think it will be some time before they become a viable option unless you are a fairly hi out put business, $1799, will purchase a lot of oxy refills, oxycon's are less expensive in the UK
    problem is the freight just kills any thought of it plus you have no warranty easily available
    Yes $1799 and £235 are very different prospects!