Thread: Texturing for flower petals

Default Texturing for flower petals

Hello,

I'm new to silver work and could really use some help! I would like to make a range of different flower rings but I'm stuck on how to get the best texturing. Firstly I thought of using etching to make the marks on the flowers but ferric nitrate is very very tricky to find here in Sweden. So now I'm wondering what other techniques I could use to make the petals a realistic texture/pattern.

I've included a picture of a ring I made (but didn't finish at the time of picturing) at my last class, this is the kind of design I am thinking of.

Thank you so much for any help,
    Sophie
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails flowerring.jpg  

Chasing with a punch would be how I'd approach it. Far less faff than etching and easier than engraving.

Thank you! I was so stumped. Looking forward to trying this out tomorrow.

Sophie

James is the person to ask on texturing flower petals though - worth searching the forum for some of his posts on flowers.

Thanks, currently stalking his posts...great info!

Sophie

Hi Sophie, as Peter said using a textured punch is the easiest method of texturing, it depends on what tools you have. You can use diamond burrs in a flex shaft drill if you have one, they give a nice bright frosting finish. Or if you have a flex shaft on a pendant drill that will accept a hammer head attachment then this would open a lot of texturing ideas. Then there is also the use of gravers and scorpers to cut textures in flowers, this is what I do when my flowers are to be enamelled with transparent colours.

This is how a metal leaf looks when textured with a diamond burr. The other photo shows one of my flower patterns with a pattern on the petals cut using a polished cutting face, half round scorper.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	17a The leaf textured and engraved.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	60.5 KB 
ID:	9535 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	393 pansy pattern.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	37.6 KB 
ID:	9536

James

Depending on the style you wish to achieve, you can reticulate the surface after chasing. I dont have it on a flower, but here it is on a copper leaf next to a natural twig.

This is simply done by repeatedly heating the surface until it bubbles and then pickling.

Alternatively you can project fragility by making outlines with wire. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cl Copper Leaf Brooch.jpg   2ro Two Rings One Finger.jpg