Thread: solder french hooks or not

Default solder french hooks or not

Hi all,

I was in a jewellery shop the other day with a mate who was purchasing a watch for his wife, and in the counter display some Diamond earrings caught his eye so he asked to have a look, upon examination I notice the ear wires/french hooks are not soldered closed and I commented, the sales lady over heard and said no body solders ear wires these days, so does that mean I am behind the times.

As far as I'm concerned they come hardened and don't get soldered, Bob. A more common cause of loss is that they can work their way out of the ear without the wearer knowing. So with simple ones I also supply plastic stoppers. Dennis

Ok I am behind the times but the day is not wasted I have learnt something, I make my own and I do harden them, Dennis Can you elaborate are these something you make or purchase

Ah did the Google thing, now I know, looks like ebay is the go

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    Ok I am behind the times but the day is not wasted I have learnt something, I make my own and I do harden them, Dennis Can you elaborate are these something you make or purchase
    I used to make my own as in my seaside earrings (picture one), but use these from Cookson now (picture two)which are smart and set off your work. A lot of the time I also hang them from studs (picture three). Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ss Seaside Earrings.jpg   Onyx Earrings(2).jpg   btb Blue Topz Drop Earrings 1.jpg