Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shaping silver

Default Shaping silver

Can anyone help me with this please? I need to shape the pendant ring so that it is wedge shaped without wasting silver and I just can't figure it out! It measures 5mm at the widest point. Thanks guys

{photo removed on inferred request}
    Last edited by ps_bond; 29-10-2016 at 05:28 PM.

I'm no expert but I'd probably do it in wax and cast. I like the design, I look forward to seeing it finished.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I have done something similar recently by forging a square bar- just hammer on one side only and you will curve the metal into a circle and thin the outer edge. Looking again, I see you want it wedged the other way- I would solder 3-4 rectangular strips together with different heights (e.g. 1x1 1x1.3 1x1.6 1x1.9; all ~20cm or so long), file them to the profile you want and then form into the circle. Just use plenty of solder so the strips hold when you form them.
    Last edited by MMM Jewellery; 28-10-2016 at 04:04 PM.

I would cast it too, that way you can make it out of scrap silver so not even not wasting any but using up excess.

Quote Originally Posted by theresa View Post
    Can anyone help me with this please? I need to shape the pendant ring so that it is wedge shaped without wasting silver and I just can't figure it out! It measures 5mm at the widest point. Thanks guys

Attachment 9516
    Just be aware that your email address is just about readable. Be aware of what you're showing in images and don't give anything away you don't intend / don't mind going public.

I'm with Sarah. Get a CADCAM caster to design and cast it fir you. You can even save metal by not having the back solid. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img026.jpg  

If you know someone with a lathe Theresa, make the circular section from rectangular wire and then get someone with a lathe to cut the shape in the wire for you. Looking at your workshop photos on another site I see that you do not have a lathe. I found having a lathe was a very useful addition to my workshop when I was working.

James

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    I'm with Sarah. Get a CADCAM caster to design and cast it fir you. You can even save metal by not having the back solid. Dennis.
    Is it expensive? The budget is tight on this one and I feel I have already spent a lot of time just thinking about it!

Quote Originally Posted by metalsmith View Post
    Just be aware that your email address is just about readable. Be aware of what you're showing in images and don't give anything away you don't intend / don't mind going public.
    How do I delete the photo?

If you cannot edit your original post Theresa, ask Peter to delete the design for you.

I have edited your original design to remove your details.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Theresa's design.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	41.3 KB 
ID:	9520

James