Thread: Best way to clean satin/matt surface?

Default Best way to clean satin/matt surface?

Hello

I've tried searching but cannot find an answer to my exact question. I have sterling silver triangle shaped earrings, professionally finished. Polished on one face. Satin on the others with even brush strokes. (Picture attached) But seems a bit tarnished now after 6mths. It's a sample I need to have re-photographed. What's the best way of cleaning without losing the satin/matt finish? Or would you suggest a flash plating? Thank you!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	19.5 KB 
ID:	9515
    Last edited by pink; 28-10-2016 at 09:58 AM.

Silver dip will take the tarnish off without altering the finish.

A quick fix is silver dip, followed by a gentle rub with a silver cloth.
    Goddards Silver Dip is undoubtedly the best, but only available on line now. Hagerty Silver Clean will do, but some of the others don't work at all. Dennis.

Thank you

I've found town talk to be good too. Dennis, why do you think Goddards is the best?
    Jules

Quote Originally Posted by Petal View Post
    I've found town talk to be good too. Dennis, why do you think Goddards is the best?
    Probably because we are old and set in our ways Jules

Yes Caroline got it in one, but also because you get a lot for your money, it works to the last drop and gives a rapid result, so stones are safer.

Sadly Goddards have discontinued it for commercial reasons, so it is likely to disappear when stocks are exhausted. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Yes Caroline got it in one, but also because you get a lot for your money, it works to the last drop and gives a rapid result, so stones are safer.

Sadly Goddards have discontinued it for commercial reasons, so it is likely to disappear when stocks are exhausted. Dennis.
    I'm in the process of reviewing different dips/ foams, but have had interesting results so far. I've got the polish rather than the dip, but haven't tried it yet. It will be a shame if Goddards is discontinued though.
    Jules