Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Soldering weeny things...?

Hi Dennis,

Yes it did, just tested the solder on scrap and its all good and melty. Then I tried a new bit of sheet and chenier, I may have gone overboard on the flux and I used a smaller flame, and it flowed fine. I can't see a great meniscus inside the tube mind, but it's only 2.5mm in there so would I expect to? I did everything I could to heat the middle but still no obvious line of solder inside. Reckon it's okay?

Thanks Faith

PS - post pickle I wonder if I can see the faintest shimmer of a line inside, of course that may be my hopeful eye. I'll probably carry on anyway, soldering the shank on is usually where the wheels come of the wagon anway!
    Last edited by Faith; 28-10-2016 at 06:39 PM.

If you can see a continuous solder line around the outside of the tube, then that's it Faith. Dennis.

Thanks Dennis,

You were right, it filed down fine and seems solid. Even got the shank on trauma free (but I think little settings might be easier in that respect than bigger ones). Got this far today:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2861.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	37.4 KB 
ID:	9521

Which reminds me I have SLR photos of the last one that I've still not edited!

Ta again
    Faith

Well done for succeeding with that.

I'm not sure I really understand the need for "trying to solder a little piece of sterling tube...to a little piece of sheet" in this case. If your intention was to solder the setting on to the shank (rather than inset it) could you not have filed a scoop out of the bottom (and still open) end of the tube, and soldered it straight on to the shank? You'd have reduced the number of solder joints and probably got a firmer fixing between setting and shank.

Hi Aurarius,

Thanks So this ring is to go with the stacking set I've been making myself:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5203.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	24.6 KB 
ID:	9522

It'll be the smallest stone, hence trying a tube set rather than trying to make a bezel cup that small. But I wanted it to look like the others, with a flat closed back and slightly tapered base to the setting, and for the rings to sit together, all the bezel bases have to sit clear of the neighbouring shanks. Even filing the normal flat spot on a shank interferes with the interlocking, so now I just use lots and lots of solder to try to get a good join. I've been wearing the others every day for a few months now and caught them on things and they haven't fallen off yet. *touch wood*.

Thanks for the idea though, for other rings that's a really good option

Faith
    Last edited by Faith; 29-10-2016 at 08:57 PM.