Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stainless steel shot stuck in back of tube setting

Default Stainless steel shot stuck in back of tube setting

Hi everyone! I hope that i am able to get some pointers and help from all you experts!

Just yesterday i received a 18K gold ring with 2 tube set opal stone ring from a dear friend of mine to reshape the band and also to polish the entire ring up.
    I was done with polishing the ring and happily threw it into my jewellery tumbler + round ball stainless steel shots and left them running for 2 hours (like i always do, and i have never had any issues with machine or the steel shots getting stuck in my jewellery pieces).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	14895589_10154067913791270_1136092583_o.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	33.0 KB 
ID:	9510

However, to my absolute horror while i was washing and wiping the ring dry i realized that one steel shot has actually made its way into the back of the tube setting!! I have tried all that i can, which includes the following to nudge it but it is just staying there snugly and does not move at all.

- needles
    - tweezers
    - jewellery pilers
    - cutting blades
    - scissors
    - throwing into a small container with soapy water and shaking it
    - tired to knock on the other side alittle, but not too much as i am afraid that it might dislodge the opal which is in the ring.

would you guys have any other suggestions?
    I do no dare to pry open the tube setting or drill a hole or to open the setting just to push the steel shot out as this ring was passed down from my friends mum to her which has alot of sentimental value.

Do you think there should be some other methods which i could try?
    I will try to get a N35 magnet and see if it works (even though i hardly doubt it will attract it and make it come off).

I would most appreciate if you lovely people here could share some pointers or if you have this issue before!

Thanks in advance!

Bryan

Dear Brian,

Yes I have had this happen and luckily before the stones were set, so I was able to tap them out with a nail and a hammer. I did try very strong magnets first, but stainless steel is not strongly magnetic, so they did not grip sufficiently.

I would say fess up and hope the ring is wearable with the shot in place. Alternatively get a professional setter to unset the stone, tap out the shot and re-set.

Opals are soft and unforgiving in amateur hands and you are lucky if they were not affected by tumbling. Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 27-10-2016 at 09:28 AM.

You could try gluing something (string?) with strong glue to it waiting for it to set and then pulling?

Might be possible to carve it out with a carbide burr; I'd probably laser weld a shank onto it as my easiest option (cf Kathryn's suggestion of using glue).

Soft gemstones should never, ever be put in a tumbler (or an ultrasonic for that matter).

I would normally suggest using an ultrasonic, but I'm not sure how the opal would fare.
    Poor old Les

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Dear Brian,

Yes I have had this happen and luckily before the stones were set, so I was able to tap them out with a nail and a hammer. I did try very strong magnets first, but stainless steel is not strongly magnetic, so they did not grip sufficiently.

I would say fess up and hope the ring is wearable with the shot in place. Alternatively get a professional setter to unset the stone, tap out the shot and re-set.

Opals are soft and unforgiving in amateur hands and you are lucky if they were not affected by tumbling. Dennis.
    Dear Dennis!

The magnet did not work unfortunately. You are right, they are not strongly magnetic so did not grip sufficiently.
    The ring is actually wearable with the shot in place, it hides nicely into the tube setting and does not protrude out of the setting just that it is quite an eyesore to me to see a steel shot stuck there.

Very lucky for me for me that i have never had any issues with opals and freshwater pearls that were affected by tumbling, maybe because those that i make are small, like 3mm or so.

Is it a big no-no to tumble opals and pearls?

B

Hi there!

I have not tried with glue, what type do you suggest? Super glue?

B

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    Might be possible to carve it out with a carbide burr; I'd probably laser weld a shank onto it as my easiest option (cf Kathryn's suggestion of using glue).

Soft gemstones should never, ever be put in a tumbler (or an ultrasonic for that matter).
    Hi Peter,

I don't think i would have the balls to actually carve something out of the ring, but i think to laser weld a shank would be probably a better option.
    Maybe i should go and look for someone with a laser weld (i don't own one )

B

Quote Originally Posted by art925 View Post
    I would normally suggest using an ultrasonic, but I'm not sure how the opal would fare.

Seems scary!

No more tumbling or ultrasonic for anything opal related!

what dimension is the interior of tube setting and the steel ball? if it is a reasonable size then I would suggest that you use a length of round wire that fits easily into the setting and cut a hollow in the end of the wire with a ball burr, then use a tiny spot of super glue in the wire hollow and carefully hold the wire end onto the centre of the dry steel ball for a few seconds until the glue sets, then you may be able to gently pull the ball out from the setting.

James