Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stainless steel shot stuck in back of tube setting

Quote Originally Posted by Bryanlimjh View Post
    I don't think i would have the balls to actually carve something out of the ring, but i think to laser weld a shank would be probably a better option.
    Maybe i should go and look for someone with a laser weld (i don't own one )
    Not surprising, you have to be fairly mad to buy one for a small workshop. Which probably explains why I have one... Happy to help if all else fails.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldsmith View Post
    what dimension is the interior of tube setting and the steel ball? if it is a reasonable size then I would suggest that you use a length of round wire that fits easily into the setting and cut a hollow in the end of the wire with a ball burr, then use a tiny spot of super glue in the wire hollow and carefully hold the wire end onto the centre of the dry steel ball for a few seconds until the glue sets, then you may be able to gently pull the ball out from the setting.

James
    Hi James!

the interior of the tube setting is about 2.8mm and the steel ball is probably also about the same size. They seem to be a match-make in heaven.
    Thanks for your suggestion! i will go and try it over the weekend!

Bryan

Hi Peter!

I have an extremely small workshop, and lets just say that i only started making jewellery not that long ago so i am not that mad yet to buy one :P
    You are very kind, i will let you know if i would require any help.
    Thanks a lot and warm regards from Singapore!

Bryan

Quote Originally Posted by Bryanlimjh View Post
    Thanks a lot and warm regards from Singapore!
    Ah... Perhaps someone closer to your location would be more sensible! Definitely try the glue first.

Just keeping this as simple as possible, if it tumbled in maybe it would tumble out. Take all the other shot out first and tumble in a rubber barrel.

And for info, opals shouldn't be treated with u/s. Tumbling surely depends on what you're tumbling with. A stack of other opals together with soft polishing compounds and you might get away with it. Inspect frequently.

Generally the rule for stone is to tumble with things of equal hardness: opal 5.5 - 6.5 Steel shot !?8?!.

Another option - or two.

If you can get a carbide or cobalt drill bit to bite somewhere safely in the middle of the steel ball the torsional force of the drill bit may twist the ball out. If it doesn't, you could try using a HSS tap to cut threads into a pre-drilled hole in the ball, then screw a screw in and gently lever out the ball with pliers gripping the head of the screw.

Before you try this, if it's possible to immerse just the part of the setting with the steel ball in it (i.e. not the part with the stone as well) into an ultrasonic, you may be able to excavate (or "excavitate") it out that way.

I think it's maybe the shot has got inside then the pounding of the shot on the back of the setting has burnished the sides over if you can get between the ball and the sides with a pointy type tool maybe an old bur ground to a point and work the setting out it will drop out failing that lasering something to it so you can pull it out is a good method. Also I agree tumbling opal can end in tears

Can you just drill the steel ball out? use a drill bit 2.7 mm and keep everything steady and it should be gone in no time- or use a smaller drill to start it off to reduce the risk of skipping into the side of the tube.
    Another alternative would be to use acid to corrode the ball enough that it falls outs-submerge the tube in acid or if that is not possible drop the acid on top of the ball with a dropper and change frequently till the ball comes loose. Strong pickling solution will work, but sulfuric, hydrochloric, or nitric acid will be faster (so long as you do your risk assessments for these acids)

What did you end up doing Bryan?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk