Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Insulation for my workshop????

I think condensation is due to not getting enough air circulating, isn't it? Despite all my efforts at insulating I still have enough draughts to part my hair!! I'm forever to-ing and fro-ing between house and shed so the door is constantly opening and closing! My 'double glazing' consists of a couple of pieces of acrylic sheet propped up against the windows - not quite a sealed unit and it is always full of spiders!! I have one of those ceramic heaters which in a 5 by 7 shed warms it up really quickly - so it is a real balancing act to try and keep a working temperature! I really do long for the day when I can move into a centrally heated room with all the mod cons!

I put those foam interlocking mats that you get in B&Q down on my floor and it made a huge difference.

Keep 'em coming - I am taking notes too. Final quarter of slate tiles going onto our shed this weekend

oh nic how exciting!!!!!! cant wait to see pics
    Su' xx

My FB fanpage -https://www.facebook.com/CintaHandCraftedJewellery
    My Website www.cintahandcraftedjewellery.co.uk

I want to learn so much, and i want to know it all NOW!!!:p

One day i will arrive

A huggle a day makes the bad stuff go away

Quote Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
    Hopefully i will soon be getting my very own little shed as a workshop,i keep hinting very heavily to OH and he's getting fed up with me going on about it so should be happening very soon, either that or he's gonna bury me in the garden as he's been talking about concreting an area over! lol
    but the real question is what should i use to insulate it as i have read other threads and you all agree that it is a must!
    There are sheds and sheds - I'm onto my second one, and I wouldn't think of one with a wall thickness of less than 25mm (There are lots of imported Scandinavian ones). Adding insulation to a cheap shed is false economy. Secondly - think carefully about where it will be - the Sun is very usefull in warming things up. Thirdly - think about how you will get power to it - cutting holes in existing concrete is a pain.
    Neil

Quote Originally Posted by Solunar Silver Studio View Post
    I think condensation is due to not getting enough air circulating, isn't it?
    Sadly people generate warm moist air just by breathing. If you have any moisture in the air and any surface which is cool to the touch, you'll get water condensing on it. Windows are a prime example, but you need materials with low thermal conductivity in between you and the outside to avoid this problem.

Air circulation tends to help moisture which has already condensed back into the liquid state to re-evaporate, as long as the air itself is dry.
    Neil