Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Emerald cut emerald halo split shank Pavé ring

I have not got much more done on the ring really, I have started to do the initial polishing but got a bit bored and decided to I needed to make a tool to help me set the small stones instead. I am in the process of making a tray to hold the stones in the correct orientation to speed things up a bit

Such a great idea Josef!
    I got to be ok using Blu tak to pick up the stones but now Im setting with the rings on the block under the microscope its too far from the tray and Ive started dropping the tiny ones again

That's an elegant solution to a perennial problem. Tweezers are a definite No no for me.
    I wonder whether those of us who do not have a suitable vacuum, could suck them up by mouth? Dennis.

I use an old burr shank with a small indent in the face, like a beading tool. A touch of water and there's enough surface tension to hold smaller stones for transferring to the mount.
    It's in Grether for those with a copy .
    I guess an SMD pickup tool would probably work, but it might be unwieldy for small stuff.

I decided to make a small plate from perspex to hold the stones in the correct orientation to make it easier to pick up. I really need to make it with very slightly bigger holes to give a bit of clearance.

Cutting the prespex on the mill its a bit of a Heath Robinson setup to get the job done but worked out ok in the end.

There's nothing as satisfying as using an accessory you've made yourself. Dennis.

I got a bit more done last night on the ring ,I have cut up all the Halo and placed the stones in ready for splitting the beads and rounding the claws, really need to tidy the bench !! The vodka probably wasn't one of my best ideas but it was Saturday night and I needed something to calm my nerves after inadvertently watching some Saturday evening, x pop,factor on ice,strictly, who's got any talent or something on the telly

Last edited by josef1; 27-11-2016 at 06:46 PM.

I see you've got a good stock of drills josef. Do you change them frequently for fear of them breaking, or because they get blunt? Dennis.

You shouldn't have confessed, we would just have thought it was water lol

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    I see you've got a good stock of drills josef. Do you change them frequently for fear of them breaking, or because they get blunt? Dennis.
    Hi Dennis they are mostly burrs different shapes and sizes there are some drills though. I will use ball,cylinder,bud and tapered ones in a few different sizes on this ring I do have a few drills though, I tend to order them in boxs of 6, so I can read the numbers off the box then I know where im up to I found it a pain measuring and sorting everything when you order a few singulary.