Thread: Setting help for an Elizabethan coin

Default Setting help for an Elizabethan coin

Hi Everyone, hoping someone can maybe help me here

A friend of mine has a 400 year old Elizabethan coin that he'd like set to wear as a necklace (he doesn't want a hole put in it) and I'm not sure the best way to do it. Pictures are below. He'd like both sides visible and for it to be reversible. It's supposed to be silver but I don't believe the silver content was particularly high back then.

If anyone has any suggestions that aren't too complex that would be fab thank you!! Daisy

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	14801027_10153827745275685_1415309993_n.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	37.8 KB 
ID:	9486Click image for larger version. 

Name:	14741210_10153827745255685_1461529267_n.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	38.2 KB 
ID:	9487

If you are lucky, one of Cooksons Coin mounts will fit. They are held together by a jump ring or split ring at the top.
    http://www.cooksongold.com/category_...omSuggest=true

If you can't find the size by scouring the web, you will have to make your own. A simplified version is this:
    https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/coin-ring-bezel. Dennis.

Hey there,

I can vouch for the Cookson coin mounts as Dennis suggested (provided you can get the size), I used them a few times years and years ago and the finished result is good.

Edit:- sorry I hadn't looked at your coin properly, it may be the photo, but it doesn't look perfectly round. In that case I don't know how well a coin mount would work - they are great for round coins, but for irregular you could be better off making one. I haven't done it myself but I'm sure someone here will have

Faith
    Last edited by Faith; 18-10-2016 at 10:22 PM.

Well we have both done one other thing for sure: We have made a bezel from very thin fine silver, about 3-4 mm wider than the object (in our case a stone, added a jump ring for a bail and then rubbed both sides over.

It was difficult, but we both published our results on the forum. Mine can be seen as the opal pendant (about the second picture) in my album below.

But no, it wouldn't work, for fear of marking the coin. Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 19-10-2016 at 04:12 AM.

I guess you could make a well fitting rim/bezel, but hold the coin in place with claws on both sides so it is easier to set and reduce the risk of marking the coin- you could even pre-bend one side. This would also show the maximum amount of the coin.

That's a good idea, I was wondering is there anything in a spectacle setting? There'd be no rubbing metal over the coin or even pushing claws over, but I've only seen tutorials on making them round. It's seems on the face of it tho that you should be able to make them funny shapes too?

Faith

PS - I suppose it is similar to the double bezel Dennis - I didn't think of that at all!

Thank you everyone, you've been so helpful! I'm going to have a look at some of the settings you have mentioned :-)