Thread: Silver Etching & Nitric acid

Default Silver Etching & Nitric acid

Is there anyone who can help? I would like to try etching but have no clue which Nitric acid to buy or where to buy from? I live in England if that helps! I've watched a few YouTube videos and read up on the process but I'm still very much a beginner in this. I've seen that Ferric Nitrate comes in various ways, crystals or a ready made solution so I don't know which one to buy. I would like to do this as cheaply as possible as well. I've read some quite complicated explanations and instructions that are very science based and I don't really understand so if anyone has a simple answer that would be great 🙂 Thanks in advance 😀

Well if you buy Ferric nitrate as a solution, you are also paying for water, so you might as well just buy the crystals. There are plenty of other decisions waiting;
    Do you have an area with sluicing facilities where you dont mind a bit of a mess?
    Are you going to use stop out varnish as your resist?
    If using a laser printer, will you be content with acetate sheet, or will you buy the more expensive PnP?

Lastly there is a learning curve with disappointments and frustrations on the way.

If you have not read it there is lots of personal experience here: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=fe...NtDW8gfu_4DAAQ Dennis.

You need a licence now to purchase nitric acid as a private individual.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ive-precursors

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    You need a licence now to purchase nitric acid as a private individual.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ive-precursors
    Would that include the small sample of Mohawkite i bought recently?

So is Ferric Nitrate different to Nitric acid? Which one can I buy if I don't have a licence? Are you allowed to buy the crystals without a licence?
    Dennis I have a workshop that I use so making a mess is not a problem, I've been doing other Silver jewellery making just not Etching. I was thinking of using PnP paper as I want to try writing. I've seen that this is quite expensive to buy though. Can you suggest a place to buy it? I'm assuming this will be the same learning curve as when I started casting so I'm up for the challenge! 🙂
    Thanks Beth
    Last edited by Beth; 08-11-2016 at 11:26 AM.

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Quote Originally Posted by Beth View Post
    So is Ferric Nitrate different to Nitric acid? Which one can I buy if I don't have a licence? Are you allowed to buy the crystals without a licence?
    Dennis I have a workshop that I use so making a mess is not a problem, I've been doing other Silver jewellery making just not Etching. I was thinking of using PnP paper as I want to try writing. I've seen that this is quite expensive to buy though. Can you suggest a place to buy it? I'm assuming this will be the same learning curve as when I started casting so I'm up for the challenge! ��
    Thanks Beth
    You can use laser transparency film, it does a very similar thing. Additionally, there is a cheaper version of purchase, called Toner Transfer Paper : TTP (you can get it on the UK Amazon)

Nitrite acid is different to ferric nitrate. Crystal form, if purchased, needs to go in an air tight container. Blessed stuff grabs onto moisture like a sponge. Be carefulwith disposal; check with your local authority for best methods. It does become spent and self neutralises, but I forget how long that takes.

Thanks for the info, I will look for the Ferric Nitrate crystals and start practising 🙂

Quote Originally Posted by metalsmith View Post
    Would that include the small sample of Mohawkite i bought recently?
    To answer my own question: no, it's a copper arsenates / arsenites

Quote Originally Posted by metalsmith View Post
    To answer my own question: no, it's a copper arsenates / arsenites
    So, there's a desire to ban arsenic in all forms, but not if it's a pretty rock??? Seems the usual joined-up thinking we've come to know & love.

You can buy the crystals from eBay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Sam Ryde - Metalsmith
    Nottinghamshire, UK
    www.samryde.co.uk
    Follow me on Instagram
    Find me on Facebook