Thread: Yellow Metals that don't corrode

Default Yellow Metals that don't corrode

Hello,

I made a clasp for a leather necklace using copper ( google "diy leather choker copper clasp" to see what i mean as i can't post links)

But copper started turning green rather quickly.

This time i used a gold colored wire from arts store that had a plasticy covering, but in the process of bending the wire, some places got scratched off. Now it is starting to turn green in places, as it is copper based as well.

Are there any metals that are yellow/ish but don't turn green? Besides Gold that is. I looked at gold, and it isn't cheap, for just making a clasp, even 10k.

If there isn't anything yellow, I guess Silver is the best option?

Yellow metals do corrode or discolour, even low carat golds. As you rightly say coatings and covers will wear through depending on the amount of use.

The best for a gold colour might be anodised aluminium, which to my eye looks cheap, or gold filled. Browse, Rio Grande: https://www.riogrande.com/search/go?...led%20findings

Silver looks good with leather, but soon darkens, particularly in recessed areas, to give an antique look. Dennis

A small toggle clasp would be fairly cheap to make out of 1mm round gold wire.