Thread: Cleaning laser cut silver

Heighington, a village just out of Lincoln

Default Cleaning laser cut silver

Has anyone any idea how to clean laser cut sparkle tubes, I've made a few necklaces using the Cooksons laser cut frosted or sparkle tubes and beads but when they tarnish they don't clean up but go a dull grey colour, I'm only leaving them in the silver cleaner for a couple of minutes, the rest of the necklaces are Swarovski crystal, silver squares and nylon coated beading wire, can't remember the make off hand, I'm tempted to deconstruct and treat them to some platinol or liver of sulphur.

If you have a loose bead I would try silver dip for a few seconds, they shouldn't need to be left in anything for a couple of minutes. If that doesn't work then oxidising might be quite effective then bring up the highlights with a polishing pad or cloth

I have a bee in my bonnet about non sustainable finishes. This one sees to be just a temporary illusion. After using a silver dip , the nearest you can get to its original state, might be with a wet brass brush and washing up liquid.
    Welcome back, Dennis.

Heighington, a village just out of Lincoln

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    I have a bee in my bonnet about non sustainable finishes. This one sees to be just a temporary illusion. After using a silver dip , the nearest you can get to its original state, might be with a wet brass brush and washing up liquid.
    Welcome back, Dennis.
    Thanks Dennis, didn't think I had been missed.