Thread: Bezel wire

Default Bezel wire

I normally buy my bezel wire in sheet form, 0.60 fine silver and cut it to size. Can you use sterling but thinner. I haven't got a huge amount t of strength in my hands so can't have it too chunky.

Default Bezel wire

I normally buy my bezel wire in sheet form, 0.60 fine silver and cut it to size. Can you use sterling but thinner. I haven't got a huge amount t of strength in my hands so can't have it too chunky.

Quote Originally Posted by Patstone View Post
    There's no reason not to use sterling. It is, admittedly, a little stiffer to push than f.s. I tend to use 0.4 or 0.5mm sterling for most bezels.
    I'll wager I've got even less strength in my hands than you have, Pat. For pushing over bezels and thick claws I have overcome my limitations by using a very cheap Dremel engraver as a substitute for a hammer-action handpiece.

Professionals are a bit scathing Pat, about using fine silver bezels, but I have made lots of rings for some pretty heavy users and not noticed excessive wear or damage to it, even after many years.

Sterling bezels become hard to set without a hammer and setting punch, or a hammer handpiece, unless they are quite thin. That means 0.3mm for small stones and 0.4mm for larger ones.

However you could adapt a Dremel engraver to serve as your hammer, as described in my thread 'I got fed up with this, the sequel'. they are quite cheap. Dennis

It appears that Pat has posted this question twice and the replies are running neck a neck. Well, it's one way to get noticed. this should at least put them together. Dennis.

Thank you for the answers on both posts. Apologies for duplicating but my laptop has been a bit slow lately, got fed up with waiting for it to do something so had another "go". I have a Foredom but not the hammer handpiece, if it works by just switching handpieces it would be better to get that I would think. Dont know what the difference in cost is.