Thread: Stone setting - wax carving

Default Stone setting - wax carving

Hello All! I've started to carve rings out of wax, but I'm unsure when it's cast how I set the stone. Do I have to make sure that the wall of the stone setting is thin enough to be able to push it in? Or is it a case of glue-ing it in? My style is similar to the attached picture, and it doesn't look as the the stone has been set in the silver, rather it's been glued in? Any ideas, as if the wall is as thick as the picture I can't see how it will be able to be pushed in over and around the stone? Thanks as always!
    Daisy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ringsetting.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	17.1 KB 
ID:	9443

Is that an image of an actual ring, Daisy, or just a computer-generated mock-up of a ring?

That's an actual ring

In that case, from the look of it I think a certain amount of hitting metal around the stone must have taken place; the metal looks too tight against the stone for this to be a glued-in only job. It's difficult to say how thick the metal actually is. Presumably the stone sits on a shelf of some kind within the bezel and there may be voids underneath that we can't see. I wouldn't have thought it should present too much of a problem to push over. You may have to whack it - in a controlled way.

Okay, thank you so much for the advice!