Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: help with silver etching

Well the p n p blue come today so tried it and got a way better result also by using the press to heat the silver works way better photos of the etching and the type of press i now use. Thank you everyone that has spent time helping me sort this problem .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PA010410.jpg   HP230C Compact Clam Heat Press 12x12-800x800.jpg  

That press looks quite small and dinky. Can you post the name so that we can look it up? Dennis.

Going by the image name, it's one of these.

Thank you Peter, subject to a proper trial, it might be an improvement on a domestic iron. It is not completely clear whether there is a thermostatic control. Dennis.

Glad you finally had the success you were aiming for.

The etch seems nice and crisp without pinholes or toner adhesion problems. But the Image looks a bit pixelated to me -this might be exactly the look you were aiming for - so sorry,I dont want to sound like a wiseass here...
    What I do is converting all my templates to vector graphics. Since the final etch result can at max only be as good as the template I found it really makes a difference.
    Jpeg, bmp and other formats are build up from individual pixels whereas vector graphics are not. There is a number of graphic programs that can easily convert pixel images to vector with just a few clicks, the most well known are adobe illustrator and corel draw. But there are even some freeware programs (inkscape for example)out there that can do this as well. The freeware doesnt provide all the ease and functionality of the major players but are usable to some extent.
    In addition to nice crisp lines, vector graphics are infinitely scalabe without loss of detail so the size of your original template vs workpiece doesnt matter so much. but be aware that you cannot easily convert a bad quality half-stamp sized jpeg/bmp of 50dpi into a high-res vector graphic...(at least not easily). Moderately sized pics of 5x5cm and/or 300dpi at least will mostly convert fine though. if you start with larger, higher resolution pictures it will be no problem at all.
    in the added pic you can see the difference between the original jpeg on the left and the converted vector image on the right. lines are obviously much crisper in the vector image. This will be somewhat mitigated by the resolution of your laser printer upon printing on the pnp but using vector graphics instead of jpeg/bmp etc. as a printing source will enhance the overall quality of the etch.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vorher-nachher_zpsd0d9af1a.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	8.9 KB 
ID:	9460
    Last edited by Ralph G; 02-10-2016 at 01:02 PM. Reason: spelling issues...

Thank you for your advice can vector be done in Photoshop as I have cs6 ? But not illustrator.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Thank you Peter, subject to a proper trial, it might be an improvement on a domestic iron. It is not completely clear whether there is a thermostatic control. Dennis.
    Yes thermostatic controlled and timer i set it to 150 deg C and 600 seconds it will bleep when done and Peter is spot on with the model

Inkscape is my go-to for vector artwork. And it's free...

As for the model - if I hadn't had the helpful image title I'd have done an image search next

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    Inkscape is my go-to for vector artwork. And it's free...

As for the model - if I hadn't had the helpful image title I'd have done an image search next
    Thank you Peter i am not good with computers at the moment i use word to make the page with all the designs on to print to the p n p blue but it will not work with the Vector artwork so how can i create a page of designs to print ?

Making a page to print can be done on PowerPoint. I watched it being done quite easily, but as I had no intention of doing it I did not take in the details. Dennis.