Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Torch. Narrowed it down. EZ or Sievert Pro 86

Default Torch. Narrowed it down. EZ or Sievert Pro 86

Hi all

I realise that the torch question comes up a lot but after 6 months of looking I've narrowed it down to the 2 above. I need something more sturdy than my campers torch and micro torch. I use the spare room so these torches seem less scary than the oxygen ones and should cope with what I need. So my question is does anyone rate one over the other. They both run off lpg so I'm considering a calor gas type bottle is refillable. Hubby is buying it for my birthday and I'm getting very excited!

The EZ torch is favoured by some members as being light , well balanced and fitted with a threaded adjustment ring for the air intake. This makes it possible to have a softer, more bushy flame when required.

One member said that the adjustment ring did not stay put, but tended to wander. His remedy was to add a sprig around the tube below the ring, so as to keep the ring under tension.

The Sievert is as old as the hills, and experienced jewellers can see nothing wrong with it. However the flame can only be made less fierce by turning down the gas and making sure it is not directed at one place for too long. I have also seen one well known demonstrator on U Tube put a finger over the air hole. Ouch--Not recommended. Dennis.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	39.7 KB 
ID:	9419Here is a picture of the spring, Dennis - at last.
    I made it to size from sterling wire. It completely resolves the tendency of the air ring to rotate out of adjustment in the middle of a soldering job.
    Eta: I'm afraid I've no idea why the first image I attached appears upside down nor why I can't delete it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
    Last edited by Aurarius; 20-09-2016 at 11:28 PM.

Thank you Mark. Above the ring/below the ring. There's 'precious' little I can add then, except to say it's amazing the silver spring has remained hard. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Thank you Mark. Above the ring/below the ring. There's 'precious' little I can add then, except to say it's amazing the silver spring has remained hard. Dennis.
    It never really gets close to hot enough to anneal, Dennis.

have you looked into getting an oxygen concentrator so its less scary using a 'proper' torch at home? I have one and use a little smiths torch alongside a small propane bottle

i also use a oxycon and propane with little torch much safer Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P9010310.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	45.2 KB 
ID:	9423
    Last edited by bills makes; 22-09-2016 at 05:28 PM.

Thanks for all your replies. I've decided to go with the ez/orca torch and waiting for delivery now. Now I just need to get a propane bottle. Now this is confusing me. I'll need the bottle and refill initially. Are the propane bottles used for bbqs etc the same as the usual calor gas bottles. I'll be going with a 3kg or 4kg one. Any idea how long these would last on average. Does anyone know the cheapest place to get one.

I would get an oxycon and little torch but can't justify the expense at the moment although it's on the future wish list....

i have a 6kg calor gas propane which with the little torch lasts me about 9 months of use i light up maybe 10-15 times a day when i used the severt it would last about 2-3 months if i was lucky .hope this gives you a idea

Quote Originally Posted by Suzie View Post
    Thanks for all your replies. I've decided to go with the ez/orca torch and waiting for delivery now. Now I just need to get a propane bottle. Now this is confusing me.
    If space is a premium you can run the Orca off bernzomatic type gas cylinders (i.e. disposable ones); you just need the right valve/connector to go with it. You can get this from UK Orca suppliers if you ask for one. Otherwise the Orca is usually supplied with the valve for refillable gas tanks. Your two options in propane for refillable Calor gas are 3.9kg and 6kg.