Thread: I Got Fed Up With This--The Sequel.

Default I Got Fed Up With This--The Sequel.

After completion of the pendant, http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8204
    I dispensed with the polymorph for the chain-end charm and just seated the double sided mount into a well fitting hole in a piece of wood, so as to tube set some opal triplets.

The stones were first stabilised using pliers and then on the advice of Aquarius, set with the hammer action of my Dremel engraver.

You could probably just reverse the engraving point for this, but I decided to use part of the stem of a 3.2mm twist drill (which is easily replaced at an ironmongers), hammered into a flattened shape while red hot.

I keep this inexpensive engraver for signing pieces which are not to be hall marked, so I am pleased to find another use for it. I would certainly recommend you try it for setting. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4. Boulder Opal Charm for Extension Chain.jpg   5.Boulder opal Necklace.jpg  

They make a very nice pair, Dennis.

I always like your tasteful photography. I could do with some tips. In the old days, long before digitals, I was a keen photographer and used to develop and print my own stuff, would you believe. Now I need to learn photography all over again. Having a camera in the first place rather than a borrowed phone would help, I suppose, as well as caring a bit more about the end result.

Mark, aka Aurarius or, to a select few, Aquarius.

That's lovely Dennis, I do like the little details you add to the end of chains, most of them could legitimately be a piece in their own right.

I had to google what opal triplets were mind, I was terribly confused where you'd found the extra dimension to have three sides to your charm - but I get it now!

Faith

Thank you Mark. I am only interested in it for showing work on the forum and printing 6x4s for my records. My camera is an entry level Canon DSLR and for a long time I fretted about lack of definition. I think the pictures improved significantly when I bought a fairly basic dedicated lens, Canon EF 50mm 1:1.8 STM. It is still not ideal, but cost less than£100.

Thank you Faith. Opal triplets are very bright and good value for money. They are particularly effective in clusters.

Thank you Sarah. Dennis.

Dennis, another beautiful piece and as always your very helpful explanation of how you made it is very much appreciated.

Susieq

Thank you Susie. Dennis.